Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really tall. On my first 63 Gal, bench seat 4 speed, I had no problem with leg room and such. Admittedly I was 80 pounds lighter then but just as tall and just as long in the legs. On my latest 63 Gal, bench seat 4 speed, I have no leg room. When trying to get my left foot on the clutch pedal my left knee hits the steering wheel first. I can probable lower the pedal a bit, but that alone wont do it. The seat slides well and seems to be back all the way on the track. I think I'm going to need to re-mount the seat inches back to be really comfortable. --- Has anybody done this before? Is there anything in this scenario I'm missing. Any feedback is appreciated. ---- The first thumbnail with the garter is my first 63.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,514 Posts
Seems like you should be able to add some kind of extenders on between the base and the seat so that it goes back further. My son had to get some extender things for the bucket seats in the 89 mustang he had cause the seat was too close. They were a lot simpler than i thought they would be. Maybe you can search those and they would give you some ideas. Here is a topic on putting different year electric seats in a galaxie, not exactly what you need but might also get the creative juices flowing. https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/564929-using-6-way-power-seat-base-66-thunderbird-66-galaxie-seat.html

and like mentioned before, google as i'm sure several have done it as these cars weren't built for the people of today with longer legs and larger middles! :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm really tall. On my first 63 Gal, bench seat 4 speed, I had no problem with leg room and such. Admittedly I was 80 pounds lighter then but just as tall and just as long in the legs. On my latest 63 Gal, bench seat 4 speed, I have no leg room. When trying to get my left foot on the clutch pedal my left knee hits the steering wheel first. I can probable lower the pedal a bit, but that alone wont do it. The seat slides well and seems to be back all the way on the track. I think I'm going to need to re-mount the seat inches back to be really comfortable. --- Has anybody done this before? Is there anything in this scenario I'm missing. Any feedback is appreciated. ---- The first thumbnail with the garter is my first 63.
OK, Take another look at the two pictures I originally posted. Maybe I found a lead to part of the legroom problem. This link I'm adding here to Mac's is for Mac's identical replacement steering wheel for my Gal. It says 16 inch OEM diameter. The stock wheel on this new 63 Gal is 17 inches. https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mercury_passenger/1963-64-galaxie-and-other-full-size-ford-reproduction-16-steering-wheel.html?_bta_tid=24793558595476401963483087929162140157794856708378079585525397820126461710427610216420313064862530248969 In the 1966 picture with the tach & garter you see a power brakes pedal. I think the car had power steering also, 55 years ago and I cant honestly remember. In that picture it almost looks as if the wheel is even more dished also???? ---- My new car was born G code 406 with no power steering. Could it be that with no power steering you got a bigger wheel to help turn it. And possible to make things worse the bigger wheel if flatter too???? What do you all think???

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well OK. I pulled off the side seat trim to best look under the seat slide track area. I could tell that moving the slide or whole seat pedestal back would be above my pay grade. Will be taking the Gal to a custom upholstery shop for the mod. My 17 inch non power steering wheel surely has not helped.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I want to share my latest findings on my 63 bench seat move back to accommodate my very long legs. Its amazing how these things pop up. I saw a clean set of 63 Gal bench seat brackets on Ebay for 10 bucks plus shipping. Picture of the drivers side Ebay bracket below. My seat is out of the car sitting on saw horses now. I thought I should buy the brackets just in case I needed to cut them up for parts when engineering the seat move.

Turns out the Ebay brackets are identical in every way BUT both the front and back support pedestal that bolt to the floor are each 1/2 inch shorter/lower than the brackets on my seat now. I can only figure that there is some combination of height difference between a 2door, 4 door, or convertible bench seats. Please note there was close to an inch of space between the seat bottom and the floor hump, so the seat could easily sit 1/2 inch lower.

So remembering that I have the larger diameter steering wheel that came on non power steering cars. Then the highest seat bracket. That goes a long way in understanding why I fit in my old 63 and don't fit in my latest 63. Any thoughts??????

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I want to share my latest findings on my 63 bench seat move back to accommodate my very long legs. Its amazing how these things pop up. I saw a clean set of 63 Gal bench seat brackets on Ebay for 10 bucks plus shipping. Picture of the drivers side Ebay bracket below. My seat is out of the car sitting on saw horses now. I thought I should buy the brackets just in case I needed to cut them up for parts when engineering the seat move.

Turns out the Ebay brackets are identical in every way BUT both the front and back support pedestal that bolt to the floor are each 1/2 inch shorter/lower than the brackets on my seat now. I can only figure that there is some combination of height difference between a 2door, 4 door, or convertible bench seats. Please note there was close to an inch of space between the seat bottom and the floor hump, so the seat could easily sit 1/2 inch lower.

So remembering that I have the larger diameter steering wheel that came on non power steering cars. Then the highest seat bracket. That goes a long way in understanding why I fit in my old 63 and don't fit in my latest 63. Any thoughts??????
Well here is where I am now. New 1/4 inch steal plate seat base that I can relocate the bench seat brackets further back on. At this point will get close to 4.5 to 5 inches of seat relocation back.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think that if you had the seat in the car moving it that far it would be up against the rear seat..
I don't have enough room for any one to ride in the back seat.
Ford40 ---- I originally had your thought before I started this project. But the car is so large, with a very large rear seat area and floor foot area. When I initially removed the seat to start the project, we unbolted & lifted it off the floor and moved it back 5 inches and set it back down. I sat in the seat then to make sure that it would work there for me in all aspects. It gave me so much more leg room to clutch and got my right knee away from the floor shifter. There was still lots of rear seat leg room also. ---- If there would be an issue, it would be entering and exiting the rear seat area when you fold the front half bench seat forward. If that where a problem then you likely would need to slide the seat rack forward to help the entry. But you know, 99 percent of my driving will have no rear passengers. ------ After I get this finished I will post pictures for you all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts