Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have a 63 Galaxie 500 with a 352 in it. Doesn’t seem like it’s ever been rebuilt but I just want to run the right oil in it. Currently run Mobile 1 10w-30 with a Rislone Zinc additive but I heard there are some better oils to run for and old engine. Any suggestions would be appreciated..

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about oil at this point, once the cam is broken in, especially on a low spring pressure engine, you have some wiggle room. The zinc is still a good idea though.

If you drove in, I'd likely recommend a couple of things. If it didn't get the miles and was an "every summer" oil change, I'd likely have you run Brad Penn 10w40 with no additives or Valvoline VR1 racing 10w40. I think 10w30 is a little thin unless its cold when and where you run it. If you put a lot of miles on it and change it frequently, I'd likely try to save you a little dough and tell you to go Rotella, Delo, or any of the 15w40 diesel oils, to include Walmart's Supertech 14w40, and then if it made you feel better add a little Rislone, but I would gamble its not needed unless you have a stout cam with some spring pressure.

I probably wouldn't run Mobil 1, although it's a great oil, it's really a benefit for extended oil changes or high demand like turbos, and as you already know, doesn't have much, if any zinc or boron in it.

Although you didn't ask, my favorite filter by far is a Baldwin B2, but they can be hard to find. After that, Wix 1515 or Napa equivalent and FL1A. Neat thing is if you go the diesel oil and a FL1A, you can watch the sales at Walmart and get away cheap sometimes

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine had sat up for about 29 years with the same oil so when I have been running nothing but rotella 15w40 with a zinc additive on my first oil change which I only used until I got it running and ran it for a few hours I added about two quarts of marvel mystery oil to help break down some of the old oil and sludge. I would probably run a little mmo on one oil change because even if it’s had regular oil changes these old motors can still build up some crude after 55-60 years and also I only run motorcraft filters

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok, let's be real for a minute. Brad pen is good stuff. So are most other oils with zinc. Hell, one of the best is Valvoline Racing or vr1(basically the same as far as zddp). I can only assume this is not a daily driver so extreme cold temps (sub freezing) are not really ideal conditions for a donut run it a road trip. That said your motor was designed for 30 weight oil. Straight 30. Not sone whatever 30. Realize that multi weight oils, say 5w-30 are just 5 weight oil base with temperature stable flowable thickeners that give you motor the illusion of 30 weight. 20w50, as the base is 20 weight, would be fine or go straight 30. Especially for a worn motor that has never been rebuilt. Google Bob the oil guy and read up .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts