Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. After a LOT of lurking, this is my first post (so be gentle)! :)

I have a '63 Country Sedan that I'm doing a drum to disc change over.

Thanks to my super sharp pickle fork (ball joint separator), I now have ripped ball joint boots on perfectly good ball joints.

Searched through the threads here, but can't find the info I need.

For those of you who have used Energy Suspension dust boots, can you please let me know the part numbers for upper and lower ball joints?

Any other source for dust boots would be fine with me as well.

Thanks, in advance, for any replies or suggestions. Also thanks for having such a great resource for Ford fans!

- Roby

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
You learned a valuable lessen. Don't use a pickle fork on ball joints or anything else you want to save the boots on. Try Greg Donahue in FLA.

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Bummer on the boots but agree with Kemp if they are the original balljoints.

I didn't know about the pickle forks myself but was removing the old to put new so didn't matter.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Just get new Ball Joints. If they never been replaced they are due and the BJ's are cheap anyway.
Um, are we talking lower ball joint? If you have priced any you will find they are not exactly "cheap".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Um, are we talking lower ball joint? If you have priced any you will find they are not exactly "cheap".

Exactly!

~$125 per side is the best price I've found.

My ball joints are not the original ones from '63. They are in good shape (other than the boots of course), so I wanted to try and find something that could work.

-RBR

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
i am in process of fitting airride to my 63 country sedan and as im splitting my ball joints i will replace them ,i checked out ebay & the sellers tells me these are are the right ones i need obviously i will check before i order but do you guys know if they fit?
2 Lower Ball Joint Mark T'bird TORINO MONTEGO 68-72 | eBay
1 Front Lower Ball Joint - Suspension Part K8059 | eBay
No, I ordered a set of these for my 64, they are fairly close but do not fit, I eventually got them to fit with a lot of grinding and modifying. I had to grind the base so much to fit them that I came to the conclusion they are unsafe to ise. I definetely don't recomend them to anyone with a 63-64

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
You could probably find rubber boots that will work at just about any repair shop. If you ask at a shop salvage the boots they take off when replacing ball joist ans tie rods, etc., there should be something that will fit and do the job.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just wanted to say thanks to all for the replies.

Believe it or not, the best fitting boots I could find were from Dorman (the company that makes the HELP products).

They are a little taller than OEM, but they fit tightly and will work fine.

Can't believe after looking EVERYWHERE, I found what I needed at the local parts counter.

I'd dismissed them as unsuitable for my needs, lesson learned!!

Again, thanks to all.

- RBR

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts
One never knows til they look! I just recently got a new air filter but was a bit taller than the previous one so my bolt in the center was a bit too short. It was one of those universal break off to fit types i bought in 2004. I was pleasantly surprised that they have improved a lot on those since then and this one is much better than the one i got then. Nice to see that the Help section also has done some improvements on this and possibly other items they sell.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts