Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are in a 500Xl and am ready to have new vinyl upholstery. So I thought I would take a bunch of pictures before taking the plastic skirts off and the seat tracks. Well as soon as I got started I ran into trouble trying to figure out how to get the seat backs off. noticed a chrome button on the metal swivel that has no way to come off without damaging it. So is this where the seat comes apart or am I missing something somewhere else. Don't want to damage anything that may not be replaceable. Can't even take the plastic trim off until I get the seat backs off. can anyone help me that has done this before. Thanks from Bud

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yup, I have mine off right now. The plastic on my 63.5 buckets can be removed without removing the back of the seat.
They do clip onto the seat-back pivot at the side, but a sharp tug removes them.
The chrome button pokes through the upper seat metal frame and has a pin that goes through it and the shaft it sits on. That pin is visible between the lower seat cushion and the metal frame for the upper if you push the cushion back - remove the pin, the button pops out and the seat upper can be removed.
Let me know if you would like some photos...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, I have mine off right now. The plastic on my 63.5 buckets can be removed without removing the back of the seat.
They do clip onto the seat-back pivot at the side, but a sharp tug removes them.
The chrome button pokes through the upper seat metal frame and has a pin that goes through it and the shaft it sits on. That pin is visible between the lower seat cushion and the metal frame for the upper if you push the cushion back - remove the pin, the button pops out and the seat upper can be removed.
Let me know if you would like some photos...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes Jiffy I would love to see some pictures on just how the seat back comes off after getting the chrome button off.Going to be reupholstered so need to know. Besides we all love "show and tell". Thanks from Bud

·
Registered
239 Posts
Budman - do you have the 1963 Ford Interior Assembly Manual from Jim Osborn Reproductions? If so, the XL bucket seat illustrated parts breakdown is on page 93. It looks to me like you remove the seat side shield cover, the seat back pivot cover which is below it (both outer and inner) - it sounds like you've already done this - giving you access to the sleeve assembly (button) which, from the picture looks like it should pry out. The sleeve fits over a pin. Being old and weak, I had to pry the seatback pivot over the pin with a large screwdriver to get it apart. It's been several years since I had mine apart so my memory may have failed, but I definitely remember that the button came off and I then pried the seatback pivot up and over the pin. Hope this is of some use to you. Good luck!

·
Registered
102 Posts
ok - I will post photos soon. the side plastics on my seats have been cut so that there is a slot above the hole so they can be pulled off the bottoms without removing the seat backs. I have a great photo of the pin in the hole and I think these may be in both sides of the seats. Punch them out and you should be good to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts