Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My first post on this excellent forum.

I have a stock 63 Galaxie 4dr sedan with the 352 2bl & CruiseOmatic ,

When I received the car the power steering ram was disconnected, there were some washers being used as spacers at the piston end mount. I hooked it all up and she worked fine, but I always had the question bugging me.. why was it off in the first place? Somehow I knew I wouldnt have to wait long for the answer.

As it turns out:

at full right lock the cylinder crushes the inlet/outlet hose against the bracket holding the control valve assembly.
I dont know if this is a case of adjustment or new parts needed?

as a point, I the p/s belt always squealed at full lock also and there are a couple of clunks from the steering as it turns. all the bushings down there need replacing to make an understatement.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
A picture of what you are saying would help. If I remember correctly there is no bracket for the control valve, it is on the center link and steering arm on the steering box. I have two 63's with power steering and the control valve and cylinder don't come close to each other. A picture or two, please.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Correct, attaches to a tapered hole in the centerlink similar to a shock absorber type steering stabilizer, the ball stud on the control valve end attaches to the pitman arm.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Awesome guys, thanks for helping out.
@ raggaren, thanks for the links, Ive got the shop manuals and have seen that thread, Im semi sure things are hooked up the correct way, but perhaps theres an adjustment, or stop pin or something that I dont know about, Ive never worked on steering before.
@ 63ford, I have had to upload a video to you tube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA9jn1Q-SNA

The "bracket" in question, is that the pitman arm?

--

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If I am looking at that correctly there is something assembled wrong. The control valve goes under the pitman arm. It looks like it is above it. I wish I had pics of my setup as I recently refurbished it. I assume you are aware of the bushings that go on the end of the power cylinder.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
yeah your right domino....
valve is mounted on wrong side of pitman arm...should be under, not over...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you Domino and Lars,
Ahhhhhhh so thats why when im looking at diagrams and pictures etc nothing makes much sense. Does anyone have a picture of the correct setup in place?

I thought something was strange. Now Im wondering WHY it has been setup like this,

1) some random greasemonkey didnt know what he was doing and messed up

2) some random greasemonkey knew exactly what he was doing and did it for a reason/quick fix

Im wondering if it has anything to do with the weird missing chunk on the piston end mounting bracket directly below the mounting hole. (see photo)

Thats some pretty heavy duty metal right there, if the car had been grounded I would have thought thered be a bunch of bent stuff down there. Its smooth n shiny, so it looks more like 'wear'. From what? I have no idea, maybe it will show up when I correct the setup.

So, if Im right, the valve needs to be rotated thru 90 and the ball stud put through the pitman from underneath and bolted from above?
If im not mistaken the valve is threaded on to that bar its on (insert technical name here) and clamped with some sort of clip? In which case its a matter of loosening the clip, rotating the valve and tightening?

I just found this image which is the only one ive seen that actually shows the entire system together, and shows the ball stud pointing upward, the thought enters my mind as to whether its possible that that whole bar has been put on back to front..i dont even know if thats possible.

The car is in sunny florida, and Im in snowy england now, so Im going to have to relay instructions to a mechanic buddy of mine there, (thats why I cant just look at it myself right now)

@ Domino, I only had a couple of hours to look at this, of course it happened on my last day in the states, the bushings at the valve end have been replaced by a bunch of washers, and when I took the other end of the ram off the bushings that were in the 'loop' just fell apart, I find a kit for this online

am I right in thinking the two conical 'barrel' shaped bushings on the left go in the loop, 1 either side? (looks quite different to what came out of it- old one was more of a flared tube )t hen the two cylindrical bushes on the right go at the valve end mount (one either side of the bracket?)

Actually I just found these that look more like what came out of the loop, although its the idler arm bushing?:
http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/aut.../idler_arm/idler_arm_bushing.html?3593=277534

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
if you look at second picture in this post..to right on power ram..
Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum - View Single Post - Going from rack & pinion to factory power steering on my 62...
theres 2 large rubber bushings, 2 large metal washers, 1 nut.
and what you cant see is a metal sleeve...
it goes on rod in order of washer, sleeve,bushing , then rod inserts to frame bracket hole, then 2nd bushing, washer and finaly nut....
(part of rebuild kit shown)
also look at 2nd & 3rd picture down in this post...
Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum - View Single Post - Going from rack & pinion to factory power steering on my 62...

the idlerarm bushing that you linked , goes to this part..
and is mounted RH side on frame

here's a couple illustrations that should help you see how and where everything connects...

and heres on video from a 62, but should be very close to same as yours....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZeImVvr-HoM

hope this helps....:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks Lars, yes, so my little brain is starting to catch up.
I think Ive got it all now..

Im pretty sure the bushings i circled in yellow are the two tapered ones in that kit. again, going either side of the ram loop end.

now all I need is a flight back to miami so I can get at it.
Ill update the thread for future readers once all is done.

Brilliant job guys, thanks for all the help!
Im sure ill be back on about something else soon. Ive got to say I LOVE working on this car its such a lot of fun, Im always amazed at how available the parts are and generally pretty cheap too. Back in the day when they made stuff that could be fixed. Its so enjoyable paying $15 for a kit instead of the $500 some guy wants to charge you for replacing a unit, and learning a whole bunch in the process.

awesomness!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I believe the 63 is supposed to have a stud on the cylinder where it goes into the center link. I think 62 was the last year of the bushings. Perhaps you have a very early 63. I got the kit for my cylinder at a local parts store. It came with all of the mounting bushings.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
thanks Lars, yes, so my little brain is starting to catch up.
I think Ive got it all now..

Im pretty sure the bushings i circled in yellow are the two tapered ones in that kit. again, going either side of the ram loop end.
sounds like you got it....

have fun...........:D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Pride, Im just south of London without my 63 :(
Shes in Key Largo FL, I use her there when Im stateside, she's a great Keys Cruiser :) have you got a photo of your ride? I need to upload a couple

what did it cost to bring over, im guessing theyre worth a bit more over here?
mines a 4 dr so lot less valuable but dammit I LIKE the 4 door, if you want a 2 door just take the back 2 off!

MPG must be a lkiller here though!! :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
@ Domino

my ram has the loop on the cylinder end that attaches to the centre link there were some rotten old busings that fell out when I took it off, It looked pretty much like the one in the photo circled in yellow. perhaps its been changed along the way but thats how it came.
its the '63 not the 63.5, I think I can make out January on the paperwork
When I bought it it had the original bill of sale and owners manuals, other bills and original radio, I shipped it to Orlando once and all that disappeared!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR)£&****&£% Im sooo pissed about the paperwork, but only myself to blame I suppose. Learned the hard way. i have some really low res photos of them from the original ebay listing but you can hardly read much

@ Lars

Thanks man!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Guys n Gals

Name that hose,
I want to buy the parts for my 63 and have them shipped in advance of me going back to the states, I am not there to measure the hose so I ask if anyone knows
The steering ram has two holes one above the other
the pressure hose that joins to the cylinder in the UPPER hole, is that the right turn hose? or....??

I cant see such specific labels in my manuals...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts