Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 63 Galaxie 500 a few days ago, all original 352 and 3 speed auto, 28k. (No, not 128k.) My first domestic and my first V8. I've already put upwards of 200 miles on it. It's not perfect, and I've got a few questions.

None of the dash bulbs work. Yes, I turned the knob. Probably the knob itself?

Hard to start warm. If it's cold or was running a few minutes ago it fires up instantly but when it's warm I have to floor it and crank for a solid 5-10 seconds before it lights off. Smells very rich when it does fire. Somewhat related, sometimes when I hit the gas it sputters for a split second.

Fuel gauge doesn't work. Likely the sending unit or what?

This thing is slower than my old Volvo 240, handles way worse, can't do a burnout nearly as good, and it doesn't have heated seats. I ****ing love it.

I need to strip the paint off the bumper.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Welcome to the world of Galaxies. Dash lights check the fuse, bottom of headlight switch. If it’s bad replace it. If no power there then it’s the headlight switch. Hard start when hot has to be the carburetor. Pull the air cleaner and take a picture of the carburetor and post it along with the numbers on it if you can find them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the air cleaner off and cleaned out the cobwebs. There was a vacuum nipple on the cleaner, after the filter. Couldn't figure out what was supposed to connect to it so I capped it off.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Considering the weight of a 63 Galaxie, and the specs of a stock 352/2v (220hp) engine, and the stock 3:1 rear, if you did a burnout, that's a pretty quick car.

If you need more "go", dump the 3:00/1 rear and get a 3:50/1 rear. You'll tach a bit higher on the highways, but nothing that can't be lived with.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This thing can barely spin the tires at all, wouldn't even do a car wash brakestand. I've done that in a bone stock Volvo 240 which is rated for 114hp. I get that it's not a muscle car, and it cruises awesomely, but having the ability to smoke a tire or two would be nice.

Ordered ignition stuff to tune it up, plugs and wires look damn crusty. I'm thinking of a 4 barrel and dual exhaust to let it breathe a little easier.

I checked the fuses behind the headlight switch and they're all fine. Still no dash lights.

I changed the oil and noticed the PS belt is loose but I couldn't see any way to tension the belt. Belt looks old as hell too so I'll probably just replace both.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Any power to the dash light fuse? If not then it’s the headlight switch. Your trying to smoke the tires with a 4200 pound car stock with 3:00 gears? Not going to happen. Wrong combination all around. Maybe with a 390, 4-barrel carburetor, C-6 transmission and 3:50 gears. You ask for an L. The letter L on the trunk? By the way where are you located?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, the L for the trunk. Currently it's a Gaaxie.

As for the burnout thing.. I've got some spare turbos and a welder in the garage..

Also, any tips on stripping paint off chrome? I read somewhere to use oven cleaner so I let some sit on it for an hour and nothing happened.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
If you add a 4 barrel and do nothing else, you'll increase the hp to 250, which was an engine offered on the 64 models.

The 352/220 and 352/250 both use regular gas.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Got the dash lights to turn on, except for a few knobs and the speedo. I also got the fan working, but high speed only. I think I'm just gonna go straight for the 4 barrel instead of solving the issues with the 2 barrel. Any good recommendations?

Also, at WOT it shifts into second at just over 30 and into third at about 50. I'm not sure that's right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Put one of these on it and rock that B up and down the coast! But seriously very cool, I also just bought a 63 Falcon. I have a lot to learn about these cars. I hope someone can help you out. Cheers SI_20181007_220051.jpg

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
My 352 in my last 63 wagon I put a Edelbrock performer manifold on with a 600 cfm Holley. Pulled the Holley out of the box and bolted it on. No problems. Personally I don’t like Edelbrock carburetors, but it’s just personal nothing wrong with them.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
From past readings on the forum I seem to recall that these FE's benefit greatly from opening up the exhaust and getting a proper advance curve in the distributor. If you do the intake and carb, get rid of the stock exhaust manifolds, too. Header fitment is always the issue, so search the forum for past experiences, as you likely will not find many direct header applications.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

The primer is on there good. This is the result of multiple layers of stripper and power washing. I think I might just sand it all off and try to polish the chrome afterwards.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There was a reason it was planted in the first place and your going to find it out.
It was bumped on the drivers side and is bent a little bit. Either way, it looked like garbage painted so if it somehow looks worse without paint I'll just repaint it a better color until I can find a good bumper.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts