Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
New tires and a new problem, kinda. At higher RPM the generator light starts glowing and it gets bright right before the shift point. Belt tension is good. I guess I have a shift light now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
New tires and a new problem, kinda. At higher RPM the generator light starts glowing and it gets bright right before the shift point. Belt tension is good. I guess I have a shift light now.
It's not unheard of for the generator light to illuminate if a faulty regulator is allowing too MUCH current.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
L is installed.

I was poking around under the car and found a rust hole.

I had the car in the air because I was attempting to replace the front shocks. The nuts are rusted on, just spinning the shaft and there doesn't seem to be enough room to get a spinny implement of destruction in there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I finally got around to doing the front shocks. They were pretty wasted. The passenger shock had no oil left and the drivers side shock dumped all its oil onto the driveway when it fell.. Haven't really done anything else to the car besides drive it.

So there's a few things I wanna fix. First is the heat soak/vapor lock problem. If the cars been parked for 5-60 minutes or so I have to floor it, crank for 5+ seconds, and feather the gas to get it going. I'm curious as to whether this is a result of running ethanol gas or if there's something not right with the carb. I'd run a tank of ethanol free but I can't find any, other than the $10/gal Sunoco stuff. Also the rear main is leaking. I don't feel like pulling the trans on this thing, but if I do I'd be very tempted to replace it, either with a stick or at least something that has an overdrive gear.

·
Super Moderator
21,604 Posts
Pick up a holley heat insulator gasket, Edelbrock makes them also i believe. It goes between the carb and spacer and is a fiber like stuff about 1/4" thick. Or you can get a plastic/phenolic carb spacer. If you have the stokc 4100 carb and you get the plastic spacer you will have to shave off the front top edge some as the back 2 screws on the underside of the carb where the accelerator pump is will hang up on the edge and you'll have a huge vacuum leak. Those two work pretty good, either or both. I don't have the 4100 on mine anymore but when it was I adjusted the rear float down some because the gas will perk up in front and run to the rear along channels on the side and then overflow that end of the carb. I actually think the plastic spacer was better than the stock one which i by passed the water hose and cut the hose pipe piece off. Mine would sit for 10 mins or so and i'd have to hold it to the floor to start it cause it was flooded. If it sat only 5 mins it would start right up. Pain in the rear when you live in a hot desert! Now i'm in WA and it doesn't usually get that hot here but does occasionally.

I wish my car had overdrive, would be great when i'm off on road trips!

61 - 67 of 67 Posts