Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advise. Been over on the Falcon page for a while. Didn't think I should let this one go without a little help. '63 Galaxie is sitting next door and I have first tabs on it. What's it worth ? It has a 351 which is coming out and a 429 4-speed thrown in. Here are some picts.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks FE. I had those same numbers in my head. Another question, the 429 is a '72 with the D2VEAA heads, one year only. What mods can be made to them without detonation ? What replacement heads can take there place and accomodate the bottom end ? When I go back over I will get another pict of the mystery car.

·
Administrator
21,770 Posts
As rust free as that looks and the condition, only missing seats really my opinion is it is worth more than !200 more like 2000-2500 if not more, especially if it runs. Looks like it has a new gas tank under there too or is it just cleaned really well? But when it comes down to it it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

The head questions i have no idea. :)

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I think that Galaxie is a FORD 300. I can tell you a 429 and 4-speed are a pain in the butt to install. You have to modify the front motor mounts, 390 style and the clutch linkage is no fun. I do have a pattern for the Z bar bracket on the engine. Done a couple of these, one 4-speed and one C-6. C-6 was by far the easiest.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm up for the challange. Really didn't want to do another Ford. Have to finish the one on the rotisserie first. Installing the 429 isn't the issue. Just a little concerned that the '72 engine will not be that buildable and don't want to get into another 15k power plant. Everything is sitting there for the picking. Have thought about pulling the Stroker out of the Falcon for the Galaxie and putting the OEM 302 C-4 back and selling. Any advise on upgrades for the '72 429 would be great, before I commite. I know it is a smog engine only rated @ 212 bhp and issues with the heads detonating. Thanks for the feed back, TODD

·
Registered
653 Posts
T, I think the 72 heads have larger chambers to reduce compression to make way for exhaust control and EGR crap... There are ways to get around that but I'm not the right guy to go to for building a 460...

'64 Country Sedan, 525ci stroked 460 (low-buck cast-crank bottom end, 9.8:1, old Motorsport 460CJ heads, yeah it's been sitting around for 7+ years waiting for me to finish the f'in car). GM Astro Hydraboost and C3 'vette master cylinder. Cadillac Catera (Opel Omega) ZF Servotronic steering box (a VERY nice piece of hardware, similar to that used in a decade of BMW M5s and 7-series cars).

Cut the mount pylons off the crossmember, templated and waterjet-cut new ones. Cut and reshaped the area behind the sump on a Canton 429/460 pan to get it low enough over the crossmember:

Offset the engine 5/8in to the right for steering box clearance, current FPA header will fit on the left but no chance on the right, I'll need to find someone to do something custom.

4R70W transmission. If I were doing a manual I'd do a TKO and a hydraulic throwout bearing, wouldn't even consider mucking with a mechanical clutch linkage.

Trans crossmember:

What can I say? Quarter-inch plywood's much cheaper than metal...

(that was the template, cheaper to do in plywood, the waterjet-cut steel pieces are down at the welder 'cause I want prettier work than I can do, usually he turns stuff around in a couple days but right now he's seriously backlogged, he's got a pile of my stuff to finish off, did I mention the driveshaft center-bearing crossmember - yeah it needs a 2-piece driveshaft, ends from a late GT500 shaft grafted onto an E38 BMW 750i shaft - or the Mk1 Cortina front crossmember?) The Bendtsen adapter plate rotates the transmission 5 degrees, there'll be a mount saddle cut from 3x5x.120 steel tubing that'll fit up in between the crossmember rails.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are 100cc chambers and the exhaust ports full of smog that need to be removed. Comperssion is 8.5 to 1 and weaker rods. I'm leaning away from the '72 429 idea. It's hard to turn down free!! Am still considering the Galaxie with a different plan of attack. Thanks for all the advice, TODD

·
Registered
653 Posts
It's hard to turn down free!!
If it were a wagon I'd happily take it off your hands, once the current batch of projects are semi-complete I have visions of a yellow '63 (or maybe '61) with a turbo 240, TKO, and torque-arm 9" rear suspension as a bookend to the '64.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a 460 out of a 73 Merc once. We put a set of ported scj heads on it with a Blue Thunder intake. We bored & stroked it to 514. I had it in a 71 Torino GT convertible. Way to much fun. I sold it when my son turned 16. He is still alive today. lol:D

·
Registered
653 Posts
I had a 460 out of a 73 Merc once. We put a set of ported scj heads on it with a Blue Thunder intake. We bored & stroked it to 514. I had it in a 71 Torino GT convertible. Way to much fun. I sold it when my son turned 16. He is still alive today. lol:D
Used to be that it went like this:

"Okay, son, you can have a Volvo 240 or a Mercedes 300D. Which is it?"

IOW something with far more structure, brake, and suspension than motor.

My own youthful experiences more or less bear out the desirability of this strategy, though in high school I knew a guy who had a Volvo 240 who drove everywhere like he was on a qualifying lap in an SCCA Showroom Stock event.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I had a 67 Renault R4, four cyl in back. Also came with a CRANK, to start motor if battery was dead!! I drove the piss out of that thing!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Luigi (FE). Surprised you can even have a car in all that salt. You must live inland. If I remember right the car in question is yard art. Only if you could see the rest. gold mine. From what is seen on my fence line, trucks, sedans, coupes from the 30's, 40's. 50's The Galaxie is one of the newer rigs. The Ranchero collection is quite cool. The hood hinges on the Falcon came from one of them. He is a very private person........

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Hope the engine hunt is over for the '63 need some advise from the 428 pro's. Here's what I have in the back of the truck.

C6ME-A
DATE: 6J13
CRANK: IU
RODS: C7AEB
3 PLUGS IN REAR OF BLOCK, SOLID CAM ?
27 DEARBORN IRON FOUNDRY
WEBBED MAIN SUPPORTS

It appears to be an FE 428 Cobra jet. Advise ? SCJ's did not have the three oil plugs in the rear of block, Hyd cam. Should there be a 428 stamp under one of the freeze plugs ? Am I wrong ? What else should I look for to comfirm ? TODD

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts