Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forums and soon to be aquiring a 63 mercury comet sedan with a stock 170 inline 6. I'm a gear head at heart, but this will be my first "antique" project.

The car currently runs and drives, but I'm wanting to turn the drivetrain into something more reliable. I've read alot on the 170 to 302 swap and it doesn't seem too bad of a project. But, I'm not necessarily looking to build a car that can burn down the tires, just something fun to cruise in on the weekends. What would be the pros and cons to keeping and rebuilding the current setup as opposed to completing the 302 swap. I'm sure the cost would be cheaper to rebuild what I have, and I like the idea of keeping the original drivetrain, but I am not familiar with the 170s? Are they a pretty decent, reliable motor? How is the fuel economy? Do you think rebuilding the current setup will suit my needs for a weekend cruiser? Can you all recommend a good quality and priced rebuild kit for the 170?

I appreciate any feedback you can give me to help get me pointed in the right direction with this build.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
I HATE THIS kind of thread!

It's crap! Pure dee crapola!

How about this. I KNOW that there are only 2 guy's here that will tell you to keep the 170. I am not one of them, I will tell you to put in a 200 I6 and dump the 170, and 4 of dem will tell ya to go with a BBF like a 428 FE or a Stroked 460....

But da rest o deze here mugs, dey is gunna tell you to go with the SBF in about 300 different forms form a stroker to a stock rebuild...

The 200 is a SUPER DUPER DUPER reliable and SOLID engine. The tranny is only as reliable as the servicing keeps it.

So asking for reliability then asking whether or not you should go to a 5.0 platform is a poor question, becasue Everyone knows that the reliability of ANY engine is based 100% upon the type of use and the maintenance.

I can build a motor that get's HUGE HP and lasts only 20 minutes. Or I can build a motor that has some HP and some TQ and will last 400,000 miles. I can make an engine last 400,000 miles that makes HUGE HP also. It's all about the maintenance and the USE of the system.

(I don't know why I'm so bitter today.... Words are pissing me off and they're simply letters in strung together haphazardly....)

Sorry for the rant. But you asked for an opinion :) :D : D :D :D :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I HATE THIS kind of thread!

It's crap! Pure dee crapola!

How about this. I KNOW that there are only 2 guy's here that will tell you to keep the 170. I am not one of them, I will tell you to put in a 200 I6 and dump the 170, and 4 of dem will tell ya to go with a BBF like a 428 FE or a Stroked 460....

But da rest o deze here mugs, dey is gunna tell you to go with the SBF in about 300 different forms form a stroker to a stock rebuild...

The 200 is a SUPER DUPER DUPER reliable and SOLID engine. The tranny is only as reliable as the servicing keeps it.

So asking for reliability then asking whether or not you should go to a 5.0 platform is a poor question, becasue Everyone knows that the reliability of ANY engine is based 100% upon the type of use and the maintenance.

I can build a motor that get's HUGE HP and lasts only 20 minutes. Or I can build a motor that has some HP and some TQ and will last 400,000 miles. I can make an engine last 400,000 miles that makes HUGE HP also. It's all about the maintenance and the USE of the system.

(I don't know why I'm so bitter today.... Words are pissing me off and they're simply letters in strung together haphazardly....)

Sorry for the rant. But you asked for an opinion :) :D : D :D :D :D
How come they always taught me growing up that no questions is a poor question. Sorry to get you hyped up, maybe I should have waited a few more days after the election to let everyone cool down from all the word exchanging! So what your tellin me is, there might even be a few people on here that tell me I should go ahead and drop a powerstroke in it, but my two best options are goin with the 200 I6 or a 302. Which of the two would be my cheaper option? I hear the 302 swap can get pricy with all the suspension/disc brake/rear axle upgrades and that other mess.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
To be one of the nay sayers I'd keep what you have for what you are going to do with the car. FE has a point the 200 IS a better CHOICE but you dant have one of those either. And yes the SBF can be done, but then there are the rest of the upgrades that SHOULD be done (susp,brakes,Driveline,etc) Soooooo, over haul what you have take car of the initial investment and enjoy it. MHO, and 2C...

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I too was thinking of the 200. I've had several in my life and have been happy with them. Decent power, around 24mpg, and they are built like a tank so they can last a long time.

When I was in college, I even had a 200 with a 3 speed installed in the car in my signature pic.

It is an easy swap, depending on the transmission used.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
How come they always taught me growing up that no questions is a poor question. Sorry to get you hyped up, maybe I should have waited a few more days after the election to let everyone cool down from all the word exchanging! So what your tellin me is, there might even be a few people on here that tell me I should go ahead and drop a powerstroke in it, but my two best options are goin with the 200 I6 or a 302. Which of the two would be my cheaper option? I hear the 302 swap can get pricy with all the suspension/disc brake/rear axle upgrades and that other mess.
Apparently FE has to respond to every six banger related question even if he doesn't really want to.. :rolleyes: ..
Personally I like the V8 engine..You are right though it can get pricey with all of the suspension swap included..If you are not interested in performance and just need to get from A to B reliably the six banger can do that..

Hey FE..I would like to order one of those engines that lasts 400,000 miles and makes HUGE hp!

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
The election didn't bother me, I'm just at a war with words today for some retarded reason.... It's not your question that bothered me it's the TYPE of question more or less.....

That 170 will be a gem with some home porting work, some headers and a nice big Carter YF style carburetor :)

Cheaper is rebuilding your 170. It's doable at about $1900 bucks I think.

And your BEST OPTION, would be whatever you would be happy with down the road a few years from now.

Reliability is inherent in ALL Ford engines, and the Drivers style of driving and maintenance is what determines 99.95% the life of the engine. The other .05% is simply the quality of the parts as a whole.

And now that you've said id, why not go Duramax? Or get a VW rabbit Diesel engine...? 50 mpg in those puppies! LOL

P.S. to frdnut--------- Oh hell no! You sir ain't driving anything I build. I heard tell that you do 'squiealies' and 'doughnuts' and 'burning rubber' and all that young foolishness. Can't be having my HUGE HP 400K mile motors being abused like that. :D :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the information, so if I join the nay sayers and rebuild the 170, can you recommend any complete rebuild kits for it? And also to the comment of swapping to a 200 is easy depending on transmission, what are some transmissions to look at in order to keep it easy?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Dont know where you are but a local machine shop maybe able to help with a kit. A quick search turned THIS up. No affiliation or do I know anything about the company. But they are out there....

Also what trans do you have now?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dont know where you are but a local machine shop maybe able to help with a kit. A quick search turned THIS up. No affiliation or do I know anything about the company. But they are out there....

Also what trans do you have now?
I've googled and found a few similar kits, but was hoping to hear some experienced reviews on them. The car currently has the ford-o-matic 2 speed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Slim,

4 door sedan? I'd stick with the 6. 2 door sedan, hhmmmm....depends how deep your pockets are and how much time you want to spend working on it, not cruising around in it. My $.02

Steve
Its a 4 door, and my pockets aren't that deep. My goal is to keep this thing running and driving as much as possible while working on other parts of the car. My last project was torn down for a frame-up build, and I lost interest half way through not being able to enjoy getting out and cruising it. Ill attempt that again when the pockets are deep enough!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I too was thinking of the 200. I've had several in my life and have been happy with them. Decent power, around 24mpg, and they are built like a tank so they can last a long time.

When I was in college, I even had a 200 with a 3 speed installed in the car in my signature pic.

It is an easy swap, depending on the transmission used.
I don't want to confuse anyone with a new option, but I got a question....How come no one ever mentions the 250? What makes it a poor choice for a swap? I had one in a '70 Maverick and it would run with a few V-8s....mostly 283s or 307s with p/glides....I didn't beat them all by any means, but none ran away and hid from me either.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.