Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello this is my first post, my names Matt and I'm 22. My dad got this car for free and I'm building it using parts he has lying around. My dad used to build hot rods for a living and is actually building a 63 Comet fast back road track car. But the plans for mine are simple, massaged 302 with a cam backed by a T5 sending power to a 8 inch. We're leaving the paint and the mild rust and I have dubbed it the "Rusty Rocket"

6 Cylinder out of a 68 Mustang backed by a C4

The fresh 302 my dad got from a customer

Hooker Super Comp ceramic coated headers left over from a 64 Falcon build

starting to yank the 6 cylinder

out she comes

unlike most 22 year olds this is where i spend most my nights and weekends, at my dads house in his shop

Putting in a cam and cleaning the motor up

perfect floor boards

motor and trans out

freshly pressure washed

the old 6 had a bitchin header set up lol

T5 my dad originally bought for his race car

picked up some free 5 lugs wheels

Christmas came early for the 302. Roller tip rockers, double roller timing set and a brand spankin new holley

4 lug delete

Distributor showed up

8 inch my brother took out of a 35 ford

picked up some stylin hub caps

and this is how it currently sits. Motors finished

I restored the valve covers and intake with the sand blast cabinet

and than me sittin on the floor lol

My dads at Sema so progress will continue next week.

·
Registered
262 Posts
holy smokes! that thing's gonna fly! good work. Whats the gearing in the rear? Air cleaner looks a little close to the dist cap. enuf room for wires?
what did you use to paint the valve covers? I have the ones that say fairlane on them, but need new paint. am curious what you used to seal up the edges of the paint were it is sanded off for the ribs? Mines peeling away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rear gearing is close to 3:00. After we get it on the road and running I'm planning to put 3:54s and a posi in plus mini tub it and run some slicks. The valve covers were sand blasted and painted with Krylon textured semi gloss thanI sanded the fins with 80 grit on a 5 inch block

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know of tubular control arms/coil over set up for the front of these things. I know their the same as Mustangs/falcons and rancheros with subtle differences but does the stuff really bolt over?

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
has anyone ever thought of using uniballs on a road car and no balljoints?
Nice project car. I wonder what projector headlamps would do to the looks.

I don't see why you couldn't use Uniballs. Likewise, I see no reason to use them. More money when the stock ones, bolt-ins, or screw-ins will all do as well and possibly last longer in this application. I have not used them for street, but a couple guys that have say they work fine, but have trouble controlling squeaks.

With all the generic tubular arms out there, I don't see why you couldn't fab your own coil-over setup right off the shelf, or buy the components cheap and zap it together to your own specs. :tup:

David

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Check with Fatman Fabricators too, for tubular control arms, I know they make em for the early Fairlanes. I;m not sure tho, if Comet/fairlanes are same chassis, or Comet may be more Falcon/Mustang related?
Always had a soft spot for those early Comets, old chap down the street has one, slowly rusting away in his backyard. I ask about it once a year but I always get the- "I;m gonna do her up next month", he;s been saying this for on 6-7 years now!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well its on its own legs! I'm lovin the hubcaps and dirt track tires

Me makin a pulley spacer

and my dads 63 Comet fastback race car project. He has a 580hp 347 going in this bad boy with a full float 9 inch full cage and full race front end.

·
Registered
414 Posts
If I had a dad, I'd have been doing the same thing. I envy you. The car looks good. Keep it up!

Dave

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Free car, and it's freakin awesome.

You said you were 22 and spend your weekends hanging out in your dad's shop. I'm 35, and that fella isn't my dad, but I'd probably live in that shop if yall wouldn't kick me out.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Sweet project

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
shoot, I hope when my kids are older they want to come hang out in my shop with me.
Ive got two daughters 9 - 10, when my wife asks me whats up with all the car stuff, shooting stuff, hunting stuff. My girls do all of this with me, so when they get older they are with me, or better yet thier boyfriends. I will know where they are. Keep your friends close, and enemies closer! BTW my girls are crack shots.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts