Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm checking out a sweet Ranchero with a 170,auto, pretty clean, just one rust spot on the drivers lower front fender. My question is, there is some moisture inside, cause I can smell it, but the vents in front of the windshield has tape over it! I'm guessing it's leaking from there! Is there a way to stop it? Ie, by the heater core? Also where should I look for rust? The floors are solid! It needs a headliner, and at least one door panel, but I would get em both! I didn't get to open the lid in the bed yet! Is that a notorious rust spot? Any help would be great!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sounds like a cowl vent leak. If you are really lucky the drains on the sides beneath the fenders are just plugged up with leaves and dirt. This causes the water to back up, over-topping the two vertical can-shaped towers that are supposed to let fresh air enter the car while keeping water out. Usually, you can work the debris out of the plugged drain with a wire or hacksaw blade, etc. but it may involve loosening the fenders for access. Once you are satisfied the drains are clear, test it with a water hose directed through the cowl vent behind the hood. If it still leaks inside the car, you have BIG trouble. The cowl vents are rusted and you are in for a difficult and/or costly repair. Someone makes a repair kit for Mustangs the involves slipping new vents up inside the rusty ones, using some high-tech sealer. This might work on a Falcon/Ranchero too. The preferred repair method is to drill out all of the spot welds on the cowl cap (like well over 100 of them), remove the cap, cut out the old vents and weld new ones in their place. Hope you can avoid that!

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any way I can casually check it out when I look at the car? I did see some mildew on the seat, other than that underneath is solid! Just one little hole at the bottom of the drivers fender! That's where the can is?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Kind of hard to check the cowl vents since you can't see them. Make the owner let you run water into the cowl. If nothing comes out from behind the bottom rear of both front fenders, then the drains may be plugged. If water flows out of the drains OK and it is still leaking into the cabin, the cowl vents are probably rusted out requiring major repairs.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, he has it clear taped off! So there must be a problem! Like I said there is a mildew smell inside. Since your answer I looked up the cowl vent kits ( saw a few of em!) clear covers,magnetic covers, even the commercial for www.getflexseal.com( spray rubber for sealing leaks and gutters) also saw the way to fix from the bottom to the nightmare fix of taking it all down! I'm still gonna call the guy and check it out! I hope it runs as good as it looks!

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ran good,drove good, but with the 14s he had on it all 4 tires rubbed! I think the springs are sagged! Maybe better if he puts the 13s back on!

·
Registered
734 Posts
cant tell you much about the inside mildue problem but......
so far all the things you have posted make this car sound kinda fishy. if you have already done all this then ignore me lol. but man i would throw on some old clothes go over there and really check that car over. hes selling it so dont feel shy about asking questions. make sure u get answers. its his car if he doesnt know he could be lieing.
what i do with fender and Q panels is i run my fingers right under the wheel well lip, you can feel for body work done, bondo, patch work and evern the start of a rust problem. i also do the 'knock test' i knock lightly on the penals in the classic rust spots and you can tell the differents between metal and bondo.
get under that car and look for anything wrong who knows maybe if u find something u can knock his price down a bit :)

if u already know this stuff then dis regard this post lol

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I asked the price, he knocked it down $600 so far! I'm still investigating!! I think he's not that swift! But could be dud as a fox! It winds up he went to the same school as me, a bit younger, but some mutual friends!

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only other thing I can tell ya about it is that it seems pretty clean, although a repaint, from Michigan state where I don't think they use salt, motor rebuilt 5000 mi ago, don't leak, runs and sounds,starts good, new exhaust,new brake system with duel master, new alt/reg from generator.the seat is a 67 Mustang bench that fits quite well in there! All elec works only missing washer bag,and nozzles! There is tape on the cowl vent,and if I go back I will open the vent doors to see if they are wet! It also needs a headliner,1 door panel,and eventually paint!

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
Ooooooh knocked it DOWN $600 not down TO $600.... LOL I'm a moron sometimes :)

Waaay too much for a 63 in my eyes Especially with a 170 in it. About $2300 dollars too much.

Just because someone painted it and put rims on it don't make it any better than one in original paint with rims on it. And everyone knows that rims don't sell the vehicle cause most folks tend to go for their own flavor in wheel and rim selection...

Needs a headliner, and a door panel first off... Not easy and sounds like it's an old car with a paint job that never got finished.

I'm betting that the white paint is hiding a lot of body work, and from the sound of the interior, maybe not that good of work either...

Won't hurt to check it out very thoroughly with a light refrigerator magnet.... It tells you where the bondo is by how much it holds or don't hold to the car.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was planning on the magnet deal if I go back! Like I said mechanically sound,seems solid except for one hole in the fender! He showed me the rough spots and doesn't hide em when he calls the car a 20 footer! All the cars I've seen for more have been junk! Still pondering!

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Those $500 finds are few and far between! Thanks to pickers,Barrett Jackson, and the like!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts