Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally had a new windshield installed in my '63 Ranchero.
I ordered a new seal from Dennis Carpenter hoping that theirs would be of the highest quality.
I had a reputable shop do the install but the upper corners of the new seal don't completly fill the recess in the opening.
Isn't it supposed to?
Please post some images of the upper corner areas be so I can compare to what I have now? It's been so long since I had glass in this car that I don't recall what the old one looked like.
Thanx in advance for all of your help!

Mike

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey Mike, I have done the rear window of my 65 HrdTp Falcon, and had the same issues. A friend and myself did the install in my garage using the same type of black sealent (messy stuff) the factory used. I discovered that the glass needs to be perfectly centered in the opening for the corners of the gasket to completely cover the window opening of the body. When we istalled it, there was a 1/8" gap in each of the top corners. I just kept pulling up on the glass and my friend worked the installation tool on the inside of the rubber gasket around the sides and top of the opening. Slowly but surely the gaps were gone as the glass moved around and found the center. Sounds like the shop gave up too early or said "good enough". Since you install the bottom first and work the toprubber into position they tend to sit low when first installed. The adhesive used (provided they used the right stuff) never really hardens. Its more of a sealant than adhesive. So if the shop won't help you out, I would wait for a really hot day (I know its Dec., but..) then try to work the glass up while someone carfully uses a dull putty knife to work the rubber lip from the inside. Hope this helps, Ben

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Hate to add doubt, but adhesive was never used on my winshield and back window of my 65 Ranchero. I believe the adhesive type seals weren't used until 1966.

·
Registered
50 Posts
No worries, in my post I did say it was a bad choice of words. It is not adhesive, it is referred to in the factory manual as sealant. They were not put in "dry" by the factory either. My rear glass had never been removed. After 40+ years the rubber was brittle and hard on the outside of the car. The body opening still had "sealant" in the channel although it was somewhat hard and old, it was there fron 1965.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Oh IC ...guess I just scraped, cleaned up, Lubed up, and pulled it in with a small rope. Been a while ago, but I remember it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts