Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if the- Rear leaf springs from a 64' falcon - Will correctly fit unto a 1963 falcon ?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
63 has a 2" spring...64 is 2 1/2". Frame rail width is also different width. In other words they won't swap

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thks Jeff !! Can tell me if the lengths & bushing locations are the same ?? As I've got an 8" out of a 73 maverick in my 63 HT now. And the brand new 64' - 5 leaf sets are a county away for cheap money if I can use em. thks again and Stay Fordified

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
63 has a 2" spring...64 is 2 1/2". Frame rail width is also different width. In other words they won't swap
Thks bud !! Can tell me if the lengths & bushing locations are the same ?? As I've got an 8" out of a 73 maverick in my 63 HT now. And the brand new 64' - 5 leaf sets are a county away for cheap money if I can use em. thks again and Stay Fordified

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Hundred years ago...well 35 years ago, I bought some poly bushings for a 65 Mustang to use on my '60. The Mustang use the same bushings that was used on the 64/65 Falcon. I cut the length on rear shackle bushing to the Falcon width so they would fit my 2" wide spring. The front bushing was a lot fatter and since I don't own a lathe to make a fat bushing into a skinny bushing I didn't get to use the front bushing. Best I can remember the poly front bushing bolt hole was smaller size also. The 60-63 front spring bushings are not a press fit like the 64-65 Falcon/Mustang front bushing...it fits the same as the rear bushings. The 64/65 Falcon leaf springs have different lengths between axle center line-to-bushings than what's on a 60-63 Falcon. This difference will make the whole rear end sit closer to the rear bumper and not align with the wheel opening. I'm guessing this will call for a longer driveshaft since the rear end doesn't live in the same location anymore. I replace the leaf springs on both my 60 and 63 HT with springs from McVeigh on eBay. You can see in the photo that a 2-1/2" spring will not fit a 2" pocket

2inchfrontbushing.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts