Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 1963 Galaxie 500 Sunliner with the 6.4 390 Tri-power. I'm having starting problems. When I first start it the car will turn over fine. After about 10 seconds, (without starting), I'll turn it off, hit the gas a couple of times to prime it, and restart. When I restart it acts like the battery is drained. it turns over slowly but not fast enough to start. My battery is a cheap auto store brand but it acts the same way when I jump start it from my Dodge truck. My question is: Could this be a starter problem? It's about the only thing I haven't replaced. Thanks for your advice. Thomas

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
Could be there is a weak connection that heats up on the first start and then can't power through another. Not sure how you'd check that except physical examination, both the cables, to the starter and the engine block.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi Thomas,

So it's not clear from your post - has/does the car ever actually start and run? It sure sounds like a dying battery to me. You mention it's a cheap battery but not the age. Was this one of the items recently replaced? They don't last more than a few years usually, and running them down shortens the life. Around here you can take them to NAPA to be tested for free. The caveat is they have to be at least close to fully charged to test, so if you have a charger, you might as well hook it up for a few hours before taking the battery in to be tested.

Re. jump starting from your truck, are you sure you had the cables hooked up solid? Not talking about crossed, just not a good bite. It seems like whenever I go to jump start something, there's always at least one end I have to go back and wiggle before I get a good connection . The technique I use is to turn the lights on, on the car being jumped. Once you get a good connection, the lights will brighten and you can also usually detect a change in the sound of the running vehicle (it should already be running of course) as the alternator drags down the engine momentarily from the added load. Once you get a good connection, turn off the lights and try to start. (Sorry if this is old hat - without knowing background you know.)

If it really won't turn over while being jumped, I'd suspect the starter. If the car will start and run eventually with oil pressure and no knocking noises you can skip this test, but if the car doesn't run at all, one last thing I'd check is the next time it happens, turn the key off and see if you can turn the engine over with a 1/2" ratchet on the front crank pulley bolt, 15/16" socket turning clockwise viewed from the front.

Props on the tri-power. You can't beat the cool factor of multiple carbs!

Pat

·
Registered
342 Posts
Could be there is a weak connection that heats up on the first start and then can't power through another. Not sure how you'd check that except physical examination, both the cables, to the starter and the engine block.
Yep, good advice. Make sure all the connections (battery, both sides of the solenoid, starter, block) are clean and tight. Loose connections can heat up and lower voltage.

Pat

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been starting it at the solenoid. I have noticed that the battery cables get very hot during the process.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I forgot to add that the car does run. I've had it running several times.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've been starting it at the solenoid. I have noticed that the battery cables get very hot during the process.
Sounds like Puttster is on target. Check out the cable and clamp conditions and consider replacing any that are questionable - not much money or time involved. They shouldn't get hot after a bit of cranking.

Pat

·
Registered
63 convertable
802 Posts
heat means resistance- resistance means voltage drop. you could be losing 4 volts per cable

1 - 9 of 9 Posts