Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just bought a 63 XL vert parts car. It's needs a total resto and I bought it for the 4 speed parts. everything is there in and on the car. I'm starting to really like the car, just gonna need everything done. Maybe a long long term project I could get my sons into in like 8-10 years. Do you know if they sell the front part of the convertible top frame? It's rusted to hell. seems the front is steel then bolts to alum? Any help, thanks.

·
Registered
925 Posts
There are two top assemblies listed right now on eBay, both 64's. On one the front header bow is rusted but the second one might have promise.
Glad you are considering restoring the 63, I have two 61's the one I am driving was being sold on Craigslist as a parts car.
Mike

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Anyway to confirm weather the 63 and 64 are the same? Anyone ever try this?

This car almost went to a local ahole that parts these cars out. Glad i got to it first.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Hey guys just bought a 63 XL vert parts car. It's needs a total resto and I bought it for the 4 speed parts. everything is there in and on the car. I'm starting to really like the car, just gonna need everything done. Maybe a long long term project I could get my sons into in like 8-10 years. Do you know if they sell the front part of the convertible top frame? It's rusted to hell. seems the front is steel then bolts to alum? Any help, thanks.
Same issue: front bow.

Just for the heck of it (I don't need a bow right away), I contacted a conv't top parts dealer recently. They had no source for a 64 front bow.

My top was replaced in the late 70's, and, if I'm lucky, or unlucky, could outlive me.

If you find a source, please post it.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Same issue: front bow.

Just for the heck of it (I don't need a bow right away), I contacted a conv't top parts dealer recently. They had no source for a 64 front bow.

My top was replaced in the late 70's, and, if I'm lucky, or unlucky, could outlive me.

If you find a source, please post it.
I will sure let you know if I find any. As you, I'm not in a huge rush but hate to wait too long because I know the prices will just go up.

Have you guys seen/ repaired the inside of 1/4 panel? I can look down on the pass side of where the top stays when down and can see right through. Lotsa rust. I can't imagine too many xl verts were built with a 4 speed, pw, power seat.

·
Registered
925 Posts
On my 61 I replaced the lower quarters from door to bumper from stainless trim down on both sides, the lower 1/2 of the outer wheel well both sides, Trunk drop down both sides, floor pan under rear seat, 2" x 30" portion of the inner rocker on both sides and the complete outer rocker both sides. Intimidating at first, spent alot of time thinking about it before I made my first cut but it is a pretty solid car now and I drive it every day.
What you are probably looking at is where the front of the quarter panel, inner and outer rocker, front of the wheelwell and rear floor pan come together. Pretty common rust area, hopefully the rust is localized and you can just patch and not have to go to the extremes I did.
I took lots of pictures if you need to see something.
Mike

·
Administrator
21,770 Posts
When i was looking for a new header bow for my '64 i came up empty handed. I had a guy that traveled around a lot checking yards for me even and nothing even in the desert of NW. Either they were gone already or just as bad as mine was. A good body shop i would think could repair one though. Mine just needed a couple holes patched and some new metal tabs added which was done by a friend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts