Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1963 Galaxie 500
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get an idea together of the wheels I'd like to run on my 63. I'm really looking to stick with a set of factory style steel wheels that can retain the stock caps, but looking for an offset where the rear have a deeper lip than the front. Is that based on the offset? Width of the wheel? I'd really love to see what you all have done with yours, especially if you've gone for a similar setup. Below is a quick picture of my car (Left) and what I'd really like to go for (right), I honestly wouldn't mind retaining the 14's if I could find a nice deep 14x8 for the rear. But I'm also not opposed to going up to a 15 (no further than that though). Thanks!
!
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Land vehicle

·
Administrator
22,116 Posts
I have a '64 and went with the stock 14" and now wish I'd went with 15" just to get it a bit higher off the ground. I'm looking also but think I'm going to get what I have now but larger on there. Unless I can find a deal on the old style chrome wheels with the baby moon caps. Thankfully I only need 2 as my other side is just black steel wheels.

Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Vehicle
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

·
Registered
522 Posts
I don't have any pics, but if you go with too wide or too much offset you will have to disconnect shocks and shackles to change a tire. The wheel openings are on the small side.
For the back tires, but I've read that a lot of times instead of pulling the wheel and tire out, it's easier to flip it underneath the car and then slide it out. Unfortunately, my wheels aren't wide enough that I've needed to try this. :)

Pat

·
Administrator
22,116 Posts
I use my bumper jack to get the body up a little and the floor jack if at home for the rear axle and tire off the ground. If away from home and I don't carry along the big ol floor jack, I use a bottle jack for the axle/tire part. Pain in the rear. Never heard of the running it under and pulling it out. There was a time I had some wheels that I might of tried that with!

·
Registered
23 Posts
That looks perfect, would you mind telling me the size and offset of the wheels? A link would be great as well if you have one! Beautiful Galaxie by the way!
This is the link. Fronts were 15x6, 3 Offset & 3.625 Backspacing.
Rear were 15x8, -6 Offset & 4.250 Backspacing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts