Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. First post. I'm a 28 year old guy with VERY limited mechanical knowledge, and little to no knowledge of how motors work. Anyway, I had to pull the head on the passenger side to drill out broken exhaust manifold studs. As you know, the intake had to come off first, because the push rods run through that. Anyway, mission accomplished, got all new gaskets, installed everything according to torque sequence and specs, and I was just too nervous to start the car. And thank goodness, because some guys at work said I'd need to do some adjusting of something in the heads first? Valves? Rockers? I'm wondering how I can go about this. Any help would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I took my distributor out, I made note of which plug wire on the cap it was pointed to, and installed it the same way. Is that correct? If not, then no I don't. I don't believe my rocker arms have adjusting bolts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have a timing light and do know how to adjust it by turning the distributor, I just don't know how to properly install the distributor. I should've specified.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok great, I didn't. Any idea how tight I should fasten down the rocker arms? Right now they're not real tight, but there's not and up and down play in the push rods.

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
Ok great, I didn't. Any idea how tight I should fasten down the rocker arms? Right now they're not real tight, but there's not and up and down play in the push rods.

One of the rocker arm shaft bolts is longer that the others. It is supposed to go in the deeper number two stand on the passenmger side (I think). If you put it in the wrong hole it can bottom out and the rockers will be loose. Otherwise snug 'em down and like gal says, you are good to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all so much. I feel much more confident now. When I get off work I'm going to go home, replace my fluids, and fire it up. I'll let you know how it goes. Wish me luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts