Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! New to the forum so I'm sorry for this. I genuinely have searched man times for aluminum radiator information on here without having registered and thought maybe i just wasn't getting good results due to not being a member. Maybe I'm just having difficulty with the thread search. but either way here we go.

SO, I'm looking to do an aluminum radiator and electric fan setup. 390 w/AT. Ive contacted griffin, and discussed a few options with them. I was recommended to them by a co-worker who builds and is quite knowledgeable about classic cars... but $1200 is a bunch of money to spend knowing how to fabricate. SO, if anyone has any information on their universal radiators and/ or electric fan combos that would fit id be just thrilled. Im also open to other suggestions for radiators to shop around for. Im doing a custom grille and bumper for my gal (friend backed his tow hitch into her :crying: ) so im going to have the front end off for the install anyways so I'm not afraid of fabing up something for a non-direct fit. but anything that anyone would have a heads up for from their own personal experiences with doing their own alum radiator swaps would be awesome :) ... hoses positioning/fittings that youve discovered to be helpful in the install.... transmission lines needing this or that...links to videos or build threads with good infor.... whatever would be much appreciated. Also contacting crites performance parts for information as well. i found them through a search of this forum so there was that! but again, sorry if its a question thats been beat to death. and thank you for any advice!

·
Super Moderator
21,516 Posts
I got a 3 row aluminum one off ebay for mine and it fit perfectly. I bought a new shut off thing rather than use my old one and that's it. It was $129 last year. The seller might just use the same photo for all the radiators as the one listed has a cap and stock one doesn't unless you have removed the tank. You could always email them to be sure. The one that comes up is $125.

I picked up an electric fan and squeezed it in to the one side in front of the radiator and only turn it on when I need it via a toggle switch. I did finally break down and convert to an alternator but adding the fan was the best thing I've done. I can idle for long periods and drive at 5-15 mph in hot weather with no issues. The only issue i did have once was a dead battery as i still had the generator and brake lights + fan at idle didn't do much for charging.

I mounted it to one side because of the hood latch stuff was in the way of centering it.

The seller I got mine from was D51msport there are plenty of other sellers though that have them for a reasonable price if you just searche 3 row aluminum radiator. I saw a lot of them and the correct picture.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Row-Aluminum-Radiator-For-Ford-Galaxie-Ford-Country-Sedan-1964-1968-65-66-67-/291978344961?hash=item43fb43fa01:g:EAwAAOSw2xRYWjXh

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've got Champion aluminum radiators in both my 57 and 61 Fords. Spent about what ShotRod mentioned for each. Neither car has an electric fan and have had no trouble with them overheating here in Az. That said, I don't get stuck in stop & go traffic very much.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet, thabks for the info. I'm a bit sceptical of going with an eBay radiator. So has anyone had any experiences with crites radiators?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a 3 row aluminum one off ebay for mine and it fit perfectly. I bought a new shut off thing rather than use my old one and that's it. It was $129 last year. The seller might just use the same photo for all the radiators as the one listed has a cap and stock one doesn't unless you have removed the tank. You could always email them to be sure. The one that comes up is $125.

I picked up an electric fan and squeezed it in to the one side in front of the radiator and only turn it on when I need it via a toggle switch.

I mounted it to one side because of the hood latch stuff was in the way of centering it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Row-Aluminum-Radiator-For-Ford-Galaxie-Ford-Country-Sedan-1964-1968-65-66-67-/291978344961?hash=item43fb43fa01:g:EAwAAOSw2xRYWjXh

Where did you source your electric fan setup? Did you have much/any trouble finding a shroud to fit?

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Where did you source your electric fan setup? Did you have much/any trouble finding a shroud to fit?
so this is the radiator i have in my 64 with 390..
3 Row 1964 Ford Galaxie 390FE Champion All Aluminum Radiator | eBay
and installed this weekend derale electric fan with shroud
Derale Performance High Output Dual RAD Fan and Shroud Kit 16830 | eBay
and fan controller ..
Davies Craig 0444 Digital Radiator Fans Controller: Adjustable Temperature Range | eBay

the radiator core size is 22"1/2 X 17"
the shroud size is 22"1/2 X 19"
shroud is a little taller than radiator core so i had to make a upper and lower baffle,
using 1"1/2 angle sheet metal to close the gaps..
upper baffle i trimmed off 1" making it a perfect 22"1/2 X 17" opening

chrome you see on top is just a piece i used from my old shroud..
hope this helps...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's awesome! Thabks so much for the info! I'm currently talking with crites performance parts about solutions. Really cool and knowledgeable people there. I'm putting together some information I'm getting from them and I'll update this weekend with what I'm considering. Your setup is looking good!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts