Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hope this helps those who are looking for something other than stock when it comes to grills for a 64 or 65 falcon.

I desired something different. With the cost of a stock grill in excellent shape being what it is, I decided it was time to remove the center of a grill I had that wasn't in great shape and attempt a billet conversion.

The components I used were:

- A stock 64 grill modified (the center removed)
- A billet grill purchased new for a 1970 Chevy truck (I dissembled to extract the billet grill pieces)
- 4 Custom brackets I designed and had water jet cut for attaching the billet pieces to the modified grill
- 2 pieces chrome door edge guard (used to cover where the center section was removed on the lower part of the stock grill

Steps in the process:

- Design and have made the brackets to hold the new billet pieces in the original grill following the contour of the stock grill
- Disassemble the new truck grill (purchased from Summit racing)
- Carefully cut out the center grill section from the stock grill
- Install the custom uprights on to the stock grill
- Cut to length and fit the new billet pieces to the grill opening
- Epoxy the billet pieces to the grill for final assembly
- Install door edge guard onto the lower section of the stock grill to cover cutouts from center section removal

Prior to final assembly I removed the anodize from the stock grill and polished it

The hardest part of the build was the decision to cut up a usable grill

Attachments

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hope this helps those who are looking for something other than stock when it comes to grills for a 64 or 65 falcon.

I desired something different. With the cost of a stock grill in excellent shape being what it is, I decided it was time to remove the center of a grill I had that wasn't in great shape and attempt a billet conversion.

The components I used were:

- A stock 64 grill modified (the center removed)
- A billet grill purchased new for a 1970 Chevy truck (I dissembled to extract the billet grill pieces)
- 4 Custom brackets I designed and had water jet cut for attaching the billet pieces to the modified grill
- 2 pieces chrome door edge guard (used to cover where the center section was removed on the lower part of the stock grill

Steps in the process:

- Design and have made the brackets to hold the new billet pieces in the original grill following the contour of the stock grill
- Disassemble the new truck grill (purchased from LMC truck)
- Carefully cut out the center grill section from the stock grill
- Install the custom uprights on to the stock grill
- Cut to length and fit the new billet pieces to the grill opening
- Epoxy the billet pieces to the grill for final assembly
- Install door edge guard onto the lower section of the stock grill to cover cutouts from center section removal

Prior to final assembly I removed the anodize from the stock grill and polished it

The hardest part of the build was the decision to cut up a usable grill

I gotta give you props on this one. This looks amazing! I was thinking of doing this on a comet and couldn't find a easy way to do it. Looks like you did though! Any way you could get me a set of those waterjetted pieces?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have enough parts for 2 more grills now that the pattern is made more parts can be made for about 25$ per part (total 100.00 per grill) I believe the grill from LMC) was less than 100$ the only remaining part is a usable 64 grill

The uprights are made from .25 inch aluminum

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
It's not my thing but I like how it came together. The only issue I can see is if you already have a usable grill why cut it up to make a billet insert?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The usable grill I had wasn't great in the center section but the outer areas were in good shape. Rather than spend a bunch of money for a really nice grill I opted to try to make a billet one at a fraction of the cost. and bottom line it was a fun project and something different.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Don't get me wrong: I think it's a great project that you thought out really well. I've often wondered how a billet grill would look on a Falcon. The fact that you retained the outer shell still gives it a somewhat old school look while solving the issue of fabbing something around the headlights. I've seen some fairly ugly home made grills that you really have to wonder what the guy was thinking. No forethought or planning ahead. This is NOT the case with your grill. Nice job.

Matt

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
One more question: did you have to bend the slats to match the peak of the nose or were they close enough to use?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks, it was a fun project. The grill from the chevy truck had the bend in it already I had to reduce the bend slightly (about 1/4 inch at the peak) to match the peak for the Falcon grill

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, I have no interest in making grills but if someone wants the water jet parts I could supply them, just need enough orders to keep the cost down (10 parts cost is 25 each my cost) need 4 per grill there are 2 different sizes used on each grill.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks, I have no interest in making grills but if someone wants the water jet parts I could supply them, just need enough orders to keep the cost down (10 parts cost is 25 each my cost) need 4 per grill there are 2 different sizes used on each grill.

I love it! Shoot me a PM, I'd like to talk about the extra parts you have.

- Jacob

·
Registered
1 Posts
I finally got my account to login, I'm very interested in the water jet brackets, or even buying the templates and I can have my own water jetting done, please email me at [email protected] or call/text 5736316708, thanks Ben

·
Registered
48 Posts
Id also be interested in a set of the water jet brackets that you had made. Ive got 3 64 grilles and Id like the looks of your custom grille. If your still selling them, send me a PM if you are Id even buy a couple sets of the brackets

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was on the net doing a google search for a custom grill for my '65 Falcon and came across your post here on the FordMuscle Forum.

That grill you made is absolutely awesome! I realize your post is quite old but I'm wondering if it's possible to have you make one for my Falcon.

You can respond back here or email me direct @ [email protected]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts