Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The metal inserts on the side panels of my Galaxie are shoddy. When the weather warms up, I plan to remove the pieces from one side and send them to a shop that says they can replace them (Burton Antique Auto Parts)

Nothing's locked in stone yet, but, there's a thin chrome edge/molding around the metal panels.

Am I going to have a tough time removing and then re-installing this edging on the new pieces?

Any tips?

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts
I've never had that area apart but thinking they must be pinched on or bendable tabs unless they have staples with clips or something on them. The tabs if careful so they don't break off might not be too bad. I'm sure someone her has done it as i think there were one or two people that had new door panels made and they had to use their existing metal pieces. Unless they were sent in as a whole with the old door panels or something.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have the pieces off yet, but it looks like the chrome trim is fitted around the edge of the metal trim similar to a chrome door edge molding.

But, there may be a glue holing them to the metal piece, and after almost 50 years, I don't want to bend the edging taking them off when I (hopefully) replace the metal trim.

Use a heatgun to soften the glue?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The inserts are glued on. The surround has bent tabs on the backside. Relatively easy job.
Good news. Thanks.

Now, I'm waiting for a sample of the vendor's replacement material.

My car's no show winner, and definitely not 100% original, so as long as it's a close match, I'm good.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The 63 Galaxie has a brushed panel on the door panel that uses the bendable tabs that are accessible from the back of the panel. I used a vinyl material from a sign shop called Brushed Chrome to refinish the panel. The brand of that material is Avery. After ten years on my car they look as good as the day I put it on. They look like factory issue.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 63 Galaxie has a brushed panel on the door panel that uses the bendable tabs that are accessible from the back of the panel. I used a vinyl material from a sign shop called Brushed Chrome to refinish the panel. The brand of that material is Avery. After ten years on my car they look as good as the day I put it on. They look like factory issue.
Mine have some really bad wear marks, and one rear panel looks like crap because I tried to "bring it back" using products that I shouldn't have and screwed it all up.

Right now, replacement costs don't look too bad, but it'll take some work to take the door panels off (door lights and radio speakers have to be removed), and I think I'll probably have to pull the back seats to get at the side panels.

The convert has a small rear side panel and another lower side panel that probably needs to be yanked.)

So, for a few weeks, no interior, at least in the rear and on one side.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Received a metal sample today.

Looks very, very close, but I'll need to take a better look in the sunlight tomorrow.

Since I'm not trying to build a 100 pt car, if it's very close and the price and delivery timeframes are good, I'll probably go for it.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sample was an excellant match. If it ain't perfect, I can't tell.

Vendor:

www.metalco.com

brushed aluminum

Now it's time to consider timing (how long will they need my originals), the time/effort required to strip the old pieces off one side to ship to the shop, etc.

And, of course, $$$.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I need to backtrack.

Looking at this sample in the sunlight taped to my Galaxie, from a straight on angle, looks good.

But, from a side or a view from above, the sample turned very dark, too dark.

Need to do some more digging.

But, it did seem to match the stainless panels in the back of the 500XL seats.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I contacted Burton. No new news on metal pieces for the 64 Galaxie 500XL interior.

But, I noticed something interesting today.

I have a spare front door trim aluminum panel that has serious wear areas from elbow rubbing. But, the area that's worn matches my sample, while the area that isn't worn does not.

So, the qustion is, did an application done by Ford give the "factory ready" piece a bit more shine?

And, if they did, should I just find a vendor that will apply that factory finish to my worn pieces?

Hate to thow a process around that I don't know too much about, but could the factory have "annodized" the interior pieces prior to installation giving them a brighter look?

(Wish I had access to a local metal shop.)

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Visited a restoration shop. Left them a sample of the interior door panel pieces that either need to be redone or re-coated.

Bad news. He showed the piece to his metal guy, and they could not come up with a solution.

Went to a metal refinishing shop in Paterson, NJ. No luck.

So, right now, the only solution is to find metal as close a match as possible and see if a shop like Burton is still interested in making up new pieces.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Scotchbrite's an Interesting product.

A friend of mine who owns a bodyshop (he does a lot of restoration work) says that he has a chemical that, when added to water and applied on the trim, will remove all the oxidation/anodizing) and bring the part back to factory original.

Going to give it a shot.

Unfortunately, my rear pieces still need to be replaced because some idiot (me) ruined them.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now that the dash project is done, this project's back on the front burner.

Still waiting for the chemical my friend promised.

(For you guys in the Augusta NJ area, his completely restored 1958 Ford retro rod convertible will be, or already is, on the turntable at the Chatterbox.)

He owns a body shop in Englewood, NJ. Does a lot of restoration work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts