Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I've been looking for a 64-65 falcon hardtop, but what do you guys think about the 64-65 comet caliente Hardtops? They both have similar body lines (somewhat).I don't know much about the Caliente, so I'm hoping those that do can help me out.How are they compared to the falcon's. I know some of you are probably bias depending on which car you have, but I just want your honest opinion on styling, performance,etc. compared to the falcon hardtop.Thanks

·
Registered
634 Posts
I like them better , the front clip for sure . Same wheelbase i believe but look longer the way the body is done. I saw a 64 or 65 falcon Ranchero with the comet front clip , looked good. The guy that had it said it was bolt on mainly.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
They're pretty much the same, but I think it's harder to find trim parts for the Comet.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are the Comet Hardtops rarer then the falcon Hardtops and are they similar in value?I emailed a guy that had one for sale it had the 289 in it and is all original,just waiting for him to get back with me. Anything else I should know about the Comet?

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have both a 65 falcon Sprint and a 64 Comet Caliente. Both cars can be hard to find parts for but the Comets can be little tougher. Hard to choose a favorite but the Comets are less common. Most people do not know what it is. take a look at the pics of the AFX and BFX Comets from the 60's very cool cars.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
parts for a Falcon hard enough....Comet parts....forget it, I looked 4 years for rust free quarter panels....never did find them, found ok ones, still needed the magic tig welder.....the Comet guys are few and far between...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help I don't think I could go wrong with either one. This one appears to be complete with all the trim but I'll have to see more pics to be sure.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Awsome is right! Ive often thought of making a Comet/Falcon hybbrid:my buddy has a nice 65 Comet 4 door that someone yanked the motor out of. Said I could have it. But theres one for sale a couple hours away from me and the guy cant give it away. I like the 65 Comet moreso than the 64. The over/under headlight configuration look great.

Im sure Falcon and comet are the exact same other than sheet metal (doors are the same) and interior.

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The COMET has a longer WB.

Other than that, the same basic car (same platform) with exterior sheet metal differences.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Are you 100% sure on the longer wheelbase? I used a Comet driveshaft in my Falcon and it was a direct fit. Comet appears longer bumper to bumper due to longer trunk and quarters.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
300 Posts
I like them in this order:

64 Comet
63 Comet
60/63 Round body Falcon
64/65Falcon
65 Comet... not so much...

My all time favorite 64 comet - or mid 60's Ford for that matter...

There is/was a yellow 64 Falcon for sale near Vancouver for the last couple years that has a 65 comet front clip - did not look very good in my opinion. It is a pretty clean 2dr HT, but I suspect it is not selling because of the front end.

Might look better on a Falcon wagon

·
Registered
809 Posts
The Comets are longer with longer wheelbase. Comet WB 114", Falcon WB 109.5".

The Comet is about a foot longer in overall length.

Less reproduction parts available for the Comet.

Comet specific parts are as falconwagon said, hard to find.

I am building a 65 Comet hardtop. I like the stacked headlights and rear tail lights a little better than the 64 , but I like them all.

From what I have seen the Comets are rarer and bring more money. But that would all depend on condition.

Lou

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey colkerr,

Do you ever bring (or plan on) bringing your falcon down to the GVRD area? Mine is just about road worthy finally. Would be cool to do a dual car photo op.

Pierre

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
I'm down that way with my car usually twice a year. One for the old time drags in Mission, and one other random time. I also go to Ashcroft for the Langly Loafers event in June. Take my word you don't want to miss that one. Tons of events in the Okanakon. I belong to a great car club, we don't show em, we drive. May long there's a great event called the Blossom run. Lasts all weekend. Poker run ect.. If your interested PM me. Great people, free beer, lots of nice cars 67 a n's older.

Cheers
Matt

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
233 Posts
Take a look at side pics of both cars; seems like the rear wheel center on the Falcon is just below the "C" pillar, on the Comet it is slight aft of the "C" pillar. Looks like the Comet wheelbase is slightly longer. I know the engine compartment structure along with all front suspension is identical, but the rear springs are longer on the Comet. The roofs are the same also from 63-65 Falcon/Comet.

From my experience, given the exact same drivetrain and options, a Comet will always be faster and handle better. They are also better looking and worth more. Always.

I am not biased.

Joe

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Don't know where you're located but this is near San Francisco. A clean '65 Comet hard top for $4800.

1965 mercury comet

1 - 20 of 21 Posts