Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Thanks! When/if I get a chance I may call and see wassup, and will report back. hmmmm .... too good to be true ...or ?

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
That's a good find. I wonder if 64's are all they are making.
Everything is made in China. Just about all reproduction parts I get for my new project comes for overseas. I try to find all the extra parts I can that I think I may need for my 67 Galaxie because they aren't making much for the 67 here or there.
We can thank ourselves for the people we elect for letting this happen.
I guess I'll go eat my lunch, RICE.

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
I've been redialing them for an hour, just get VM --so I finally left a message.

Ya think EVERy '64 owner on here is calling them? LOL

·
Registered
751 Posts
Back with an update;

I got a call back late this afternoon, and proceeded to have a nice, friendly chit-chat with a fellow named David, for about 20 minutes.

The company is: Auto Metal Direct; website: https://www.autometaldirect.com/

He is listed on that site as a bona fide AMD dealer in Des Moines, IA. Call him here if you like: 1-515-419-6963, or, as I did to get his large flyer, e-mail his craigslist ad and put "1964 galaxie bumpers" so he knows it's not sp*m).

Front or rear bumpers: $399.95 each (no station wagons afaik)

Made on AMD U.S. equipment, but yep, offshore (he was not sure, but thought they were made in Taiwan). Brand new, no cores needed.

Front and rear brackets and the rear reinf bar also available!

(I'm unable to copy/paste his flyer here, nor can I attach it. So, holler and I can send you a PDF attachment of his flyer, to your e-mail.)

His background is in MOPAR resto parts, he went on to say that these bumpers are verry new, and for now, the only 1960s Ford bumpers they are offering. (more or less a test-bed is what I culled from it).

He's a working guy, thus why he couldn't get right back to me, and has no inventory to go peek at. He did say he *might* invest in a pair ...just to see how they look. I suggested a bunch of marketing ideas to him, and he was obliging and receptive, even thankful.

I'm curious enough to consider pullling the trigger --the guy is close enough for me to go visit --he welcomed my visit, but also offered to drop-ship as well.

When I'm done "vetting" him .... we'll see. ;-)) lol

Norm

ps: I see Summit is a AMD dealer, but no Gal bumpers when I searched.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Good find, this dude might get rich on these

L

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yup, I wrote that in my post --but I can mention it again here:

That company is making these for 1964 Galaxies only at this time. No doubt, as a test-bed to see how lucrative it might be for them. I would safely say why not to additional years and even models offered down the road? It's all about the cha-ching. And as I told him on the phone, IF they are making a decent product, they'll do well with the Ford line.

I emailed the guy and he is only doing '64 bumpers only, that sucks, oh well back to plan A getting them rechromed. JIMMY

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow great tip on this! If anyone does order a rear one, please let us know what you think of it. I might order one in the spring when my car comes out of storage. Cheaper to go this route versus repairing and replating my existing rear bumper. Also I won't have to sit around and wait a month for my bumper to get redone. Hopefully they're decent enough quality.

I wonder if he ships to Canada for a reasonable price... If not I guess I could always get it delivered to a broker at the border to take advantage of the free shipping, and go pick it up there myself. I'm a few hours from the nearest border crossing so it's not too bad of a drive.

Thanks for sharing this

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well I ordered my rear bumper for my 64 Galaxie today from a local AMD dealer. He said it should arrive in a few weeks, which is roughly when my car will come out of winter storage. I'll let you know what I think of it. I'm excited to swap out my old rusting bumper with something new!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yes, I'll follow this thread to read what you have to say when it shows up. May I ask what you had to shell out for it? You can pm me if you prefer.

I haven't done anything on mine yet -still got other projects to do (aka afford, haha).

Thanks Norm

I'll let you know what I think of it. I'm excited to swap out my old rusting bumper with something new!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought both the rear bumper and the bracket set - my bumper is rusty so I'm guessing the brackets behind it are worth replacing too. Might as well do it right. All-in, I'm paying $480 for the bumper and $335 for the bracket set. I'm Canadian so the cost of international shipping, duty, and exchange rate needs to be built in to the cost I pay.

If you're in the US you should be able to find them with much more reasonable shipping. I see someone on Ebay is selling them now

1964 Ford Galaxie Chrome Rear Bumper - Brand New Tooling | eBay

Yeah I wish I had unlimited funds to put into my car. I'm going to get new exhaust tips put on when I get the bumper done - they're in rough shape so I'm sure they'll look worse when the bumper's new. I'm probably going to replace my windshield this summer too (so I can actually see when I'm driving into a setting sun - it's badly pitted).

When I have time (and money saved up) I'd like to get some body work done. The driver side rocker panel is badly rusted underneath and there's bubbling around the driver side rear wheel well. That'll be something to dream about for the future.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hey thanks for your additional info. Yup, I began researching these around the 1st of 2013 -when I wrote about that Des Moines Iowa guy near the beginning of this thread. I watch ebay ...a lot -since I do daily for my ebay biz anyways, lol. The G, A, L, X, I and E keys are all pretty worn on my keyboard. ;-P

Your car does sound like a logical candidate for the brackets as well, good decision there! I think .....by the time you have to fight one seized bumper bolt -that will become apparent, lol.

I'll keep checking back on this thread --to hear all about what kind of quality these bumpers are.

Keep us posted please! Thanks again! Norm

ps: Got pics of your car on here some place, showing progress, etc? Always fun to look at other folk's Gals. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I know I'm responding to an old thread but I'm in the market for new 64 Galaxie rear bumper brackets and maybe a new rear bumper. My bumper is at the platers now but they are concerned that with the amount of pitting on the back side, it may not be salvageable without a big expense. I've heard neither anything good nor bad about the reproduction bumpers/brackets that are available. Does anyone have recent experience with these with respect to quality and fit? Thanks. Gary

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hi Gary,

I have not gotten to the bumpers (and brkts) on my Gal yet --maybe I will in 2016? So I'll watch this thread too and see what folks are having good luck with.

Merry xmas! Norm

I know I'm responding to an old thread but I'm in the market for new 64 Galaxie rear bumper brackets and maybe a new rear bumper. My bumper is at the platers now but they are concerned that with the amount of pitting on the back side, it may not be salvageable without a big expense. I've heard neither anything good nor bad about the reproduction bumpers/brackets that are available. Does anyone have recent experience with these with respect to quality and fit? Thanks. Gary

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Norm,

It's great to hear from you. Since our adventure with poor acceleration on my 352, the car has been running great. My rear bumper is the worst cosmetic item on my car and is at the platers now. He was not optimistic about the outcome but was willing to give it a try. So far I haven't heard from him so I hope no news is good news. When I removed my rear bumper, I found the center mounting bracket was not correct for for the car, it is much narrower perhaps from a Fairlane. At the very least, I am in the market for one of these. I'm a little leery of the reproduction units but I may have no choice. I'm hoping someone has some experience with these.

Stay in touch. Merry Christmas!

Gary

1 - 20 of 22 Posts