Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that is the question.we know the 64 fairlane had the option but did the comet of 64 also.or could you have ordered it with the engine.i have heard many stories.if you had one tell us about it thanks!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Yes, the 289HP was available on a special order only. The VIN did not reflect that it was a HP, but used the same engine code as the 289 4V.

The installation was noted on the build sheet (and the invoice of course).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have a 64 k code caliente but it was just a 289 factory 4 barrel.i had my heads reworked with screw in rocker studs and largest valves,the weird thing is my pushrod holes are slotted wioth rounded corners. i had a custom cam built to the 271 specs. this has a different sound than my other smallblocks.yes it sounds bitchen1

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
K Engine Code on the 64 COMET denotes 289 4V (210HP).

K Engine Code on the 64 FAIRLANE denotes 289/271HP.

D Engine Code on the 64 COMET (LM Service Bulletin No 3A 4-17-64) denotes DSO (Dealer Special Order) 289/271HP.

There was a special MERC DIV HP 289 offered before this (LM Service Bulletin No 3 dated 10-4-63 in a 5 page document) that was not a true 271HP but a modified 289 engine released for MERC DIV racing. Door code was also K but the install was noted on the Build Sheet (and invoice).

FORD did not want to share but MERC had to sell cars also.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
i have a 64 k code caliente but it was just a 289 factory 4 barrel.i had my heads reworked with screw in rocker studs and largest valves,the weird thing is my pushrod holes are slotted wioth rounded corners. i had a custom cam built to the 271 specs. this has a different sound than my other smallblocks.yes it sounds bitchen1
all the small block's 221 thru 289 had slotted push rod holes till the rail rockers . then they became round

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
K Engine Code on the 64 COMET denotes 289 4V (210HP).

K Engine Code on the 64 FAIRLANE denotes 289/271HP.

D Engine Code on the 64 COMET (LM Service Bulletin No 3A 4-17-64) denotes DSO (Dealer Special Order) 289/271HP.

There was a special MERC DIV HP 289 offered before this (LM Service Bulletin No 3 dated 10-4-63 in a 5 page document) that was not a true 271HP but a modified 289 engine released for MERC DIV racing. Door code was also K but the install was noted on the Build Sheet (and invoice).

FORD did not want to share but MERC had to sell cars also.
Why did I just notice you have a '58 Merc Maurauder 430 with the 400 HP option? :bow:

I seem to recall reading about those cars somewhere in the last year and how fast they were.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Why did I just notice you have a '58 Merc Maurauder 430 with the 400 HP option? :bow:

I seem to recall reading about those cars somewhere in the last year and how fast they were.
I don't actually have one. When I began studying MEL some years ago, my intention was to build one for a '57 FORD. Old age then caught up with me.

But I did finally find info on a 59 BIRD install... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts