Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 64 comet caliente 2dr with a 200ci six. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what all is involved in a swap. I would like to swap out the straight six for a small block V8. I have already done a Granada spindle swap for the larger brakes. Is a 302 the largest that will fit without shock tower or other modification? Will a 351w fit? What motor mounts will work? I will also need a new rearend and Im wondering what type. I've been told that a 8.8 traction lok would be my best bet. What kind of donor car would I look for to find suitable one? If anyone has done a swap in one of these cars I would appreciate hearing from you.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
You can make a 351 fit but you'll need swap specific headers. Dyno Tom on this board can give you a wealth of info on that. You'll want to upgrade the front springs to V8 units and the cooling system will need to be swapped out. I'd recommend a 3 or 4 core unit. The Mustang units are the same as the Falcon/Comets so they're an easy find. An 8.8 rear will not fit your car without considerable modification. You best bet would be to find an 8" from a mustang or another v8 equipped falcon/comet. They're plentiful and plenty strong unless you're going for monster horsepower. Hope this gives ya a good start.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, i've been rethinking this engine swap. My dad gave me the idea of instead of dropping in a small block V8, to warm up a straight six and put a nitrous kit on. If I did this i would be probably be looking at a 250ci with a 3 speed auto. Otherwise I would be going with a 289/302 automatic. I would like to hear some opinions on this. However keep in mind that I am a student on a limited budget, and I'm not building a race car here.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
...and I'm not building a race car here.

ROFLMAO!!!!

Please don't take this the wrong way- but if you are considering N2O or a V8 swap then you ARE looking to make a race car, even if it only stays on the street. Make no mistake- one step onto the high performance path and you will be lost forever. Especially if you come to places like this and get reinforcement from other lost souls. Tread carefully, young Jedi...

If you are serious about spending the money to make your car faster than stock and hopefully faster than the Honda in the next lane, then check out Clifford Performance 6=8
www.cliffordperformance.com/

lots of good straight six stuff for that 250- good to about 250hp. Add that blue bottle and you will surprise some people and not have to swap suspension parts (maybe the 8 inch rear.)
With all that said - Welcome to the Dark Side!

JL

Technical Editor

Fordmuscle.com

'65 Mustang GT, 289 (Warp 65)

'92 Mustang, 5.0 T5Z (Green Machine II)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FasterDamnit! on 6/10/02 9:50am ]</font>

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok...when you put it that way I guess I am building a race car.

I guess what I mean is that I want a street drivable car that wont be <U>all</U> show and no go. This car is going to be my daily driver, so i want something with power as well as decent economy. I have another question. I have the rear end from the granada that I took the discs off of. Would this be an eight inch? The granada was a '76 with a 302 originally. As far as I can tell, it has a 2.49:1 ratio. Would a straight six with a 3 speed be able to turn it without too much effort?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Crazy_garry on 6/10/02 10:08am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Crazy_garry on 6/10/02 10:09am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
The Granada's are 8", but some were also 9". The housing's about an inch wider per side than your existing axle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Some Granadas came with that crazy rear end with integral carrier. These have a stamped steel cover on the rear of the axle like an 8.8 If it has a chunk that comes out of the front of the axle, then its probably an eight inch.
Alvin

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am fairly sure that its not a 9" rear end. Its the same width drum to drum, so I assume it with work. I checked out clifford performance's site, but unfortunatley, they cannot ship to canada. Does anyone know of any other six cylinder performance companies? I have tried searching and they seem to be the only one.

·
Registered
557 Posts
It seems as though you're not too worried about doing the suspension swap stuff, since you already swapped on the disc brakes, so the rest of it is pretty easy. With that said, you should do a 302 swap...just look at all the aftermarket support that its got going for it! Very easy to build a 400HP small block that will be docile on the street, yet give you that serious punch when your right foot demands it

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im not exactly sure what I want to do right now. It looks like either way I go the cost will be roughly the same. I was mostly considering a six for the uniqueness and the economy. This car is my daily driver, and a V8 swap would probably mean more time off the road, which isnt a huge problem, but I need do need to get around. Basically what Im trying to do is find out what kind of problems i may run into which ever way I go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts