Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to see how impossible it would be to find an xl rear seat and trim? I picked up an nice xl interior for a fastback last week. I knew the rear seat would be to wide but grabbed it along with the deal. I plan to use all the other pieces but am now wondering if its a losing cause to try to get my hands on a 64 conv. xl seat and trim. I cant say I have seen any on ebay since ive been searching for the last year or so. Any suggestions on where to start my search?? I have the original standard rear seat frame and am kicking around having it recovered as close to xl pattern as I can, and using it along with the buckets. ideas? suggestions?

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts
You're right, don't see them hardly ever on ebay or anywhere. I don't see why you couldn't get the one you have recovered in the XL style though. Think it's possible to revamp the seat shortening it a little on each end?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
No expert here, but I think it's the middle of the seat that's bigger on the hardtop as opposed to the convert.

If you can take a piece out of the middle and put the seat back together, the hardtop upholstry can be cut down to fit the modified frame.

It will not be perfect, but I had mine done in the 80's and no one has noticed the modifications.

Finding the chrome will be tough.

Originally, I vinyl painted my 500 rear seat covers black to match the black buckets. Ran it that way for a year or two.

Then I got very lucky and was able to find an XL convert seat and chrome in a wrecking yard right here in New Jersey.

Seat frame was a bit rusty, but the chrome was pretty good, considering.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I have kicked around the idea about trying to narrow it up, however the seat is in such good shape i just cant bring myself to cut it up. I havnt found a single cut or rip on it. If I just had the bare frame for the xl i would have no issue trying to chop it down to size. All in all I would rather use the standard seat instead of ruining a seat that some body could be able to use. I will keep my eyes open for the correct one at this point I think, and use the recovered standard seat if I cant come up with an xl.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts