Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I imagine this topic has been beat to death already, but maybe someone could provide me some information. This is my first post here. Have a 1964 Falcon Futura currently with a mild roller conversion 302 and an AOD. Last summer on Woodward the head gasket let go and gave a nice plume of smoke akin to a James Bond car chase scene. Meanwhile…a buddy of mine has offered up a complete power train (engine, T-5 trans, wiring harness) from a late 80’s Mustang GT. I actually drove the Mustang when this engine was still in it so I know it’s a good driver. Anyhow, I’d like to start the full conversion when the weather changes for the better. I need to get a clutch/brake assembly for a manual trans. that will work with the 64 Falcon. So…A.) what year/Ford vehicle combination of pedal will work and B.) does anyone here have one they would like to sell? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Bruce Cotures modern driveline specializes in manual trans. swaps and has some specifically for the falcon. A little spendy but worth looking into.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bruce Cotures modern driveline specializes in manual trans. swaps and has some specifically for the falcon. A little spendy but worth looking into.
Update: I traded email with Modern Driveline. You were correct; these guys go a bit deep into the wallet but I will say their quote was one of the most comprehensive I have seen. The basically detailed every item I would need down to every nut and bolt. I didn’t realize that I needed to modify the tail-shaft; good thing I spoke to these guys before I tried to install myself! Not sure I can afford the entire package at the moment, but I will most likely use these guys when the AOD finally dies.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
You do not have to change tail shafts, that is just one option. I've read those that do have a problem accessing the speedometer cable. I and several others just cut a portion of the cross member which can be supported in another fashion. I too did not want to spend big money to convert so This is what I did.

I had the clutch pedal. I welded a tab on the top of the pedal and mounted a Fox type clutch quadrant using a couple of bolts. I had to make sure the quadrant cleared the under dash. I fabricated a support plate(apprx. 7X8 in.) from some 16ga steel. Pretty much the same size as the protrusion on the firewall where the master cylinder mounts. Removed the master cylinder and attached the plate. Mark the MC hole from the back side of firewall, also used a straight edge on the quadrant to locate the cable entry. Removed the plate and cut the holes for the MC and cable. Installed the MC and attached the cable mount, and fished the cable over the quadrant. Pretty simple, but it has worked well for several years now. Just takes a little time. The cable and quadrant can be found many places, I got a good deal on new Zoom and Ford parts on Ebay.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
to swap a t5 in a 4spd car you will still need to cut the floor and not be able to use the stock metal panel correct or can something be fabbed to have the shifter come out of the stock location. since the t10 4 spd is a side loader trans

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm with Jetfixr, left the mustang tail shaft on. Actually put on a 93 tail shaft on a 97 V6 T5. I did modify the floor for proper driveline angles. The 97 trans has a 5/8" longer input shaft, deeper bell and the clutch fork comes out lower on the bell. This worked to my advantage with the exhaust and my home grown hydraulic clutch setup.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think the shorty tailshaft like mentioned from modern drivelines may also be the one off the Ranger or s10. With a bench seat I think it might be needed? Not all t5 are alike from I found out and the best of the best might not be strong enough(330)ft lbs. behind a modified 351w,depending on how hard your foot slips off the clutch pedal. When I saw an add locally for a toploader with the falcon tailshaft and flywheel, I was there in 20 min! $600 as compared to around $2600 for everything from modern drivelines, and it mocked up perfectly.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I have a stock T5 behind my 331. 400 plus Hp/Tq and my foot has slipped off of the clutch quite often. The T5 is holding up just fine. The only upgrade to it is a new Shifter assy. Like this, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-555-7353-sr/overview/

People have notched out and had the bench seats recovered instead of getting a S10 tailshaft.

I would go the cable route like Robert did. Or Hydraulic slave or Throw-out bearing. I have a Ram hyd throw-out in my Falcon with a Wilwood master cyl. I'm pretty happy with it.

save your money and source your own parts. Modern driveline is pretty spendy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've heard from others that they take a beating pretty well, and there are plenty of them right? but at the time I was also unsure of whether or not I was going to stroke the 351 or not. To much $ and work to risk for me but I bet it sure is nice to drive. Def. a quality trans!

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Not my setup, I googled Modified T5 shifter or something like that. I have seen them in magazines or something before?

Floor mods are easy, Either cut it out completely and rebuild to what you want. Or make some slits in the floor jack the tranny up to the correct height and angle + a little, then fill in the gaps as needed.

My buddy put a T5 behind his 360 mopar using a quick time bell housing.. Same hyd setup as mine.

If you go hydraulic, do yourself a favor. Put some kind of heat protective sheaving over the line. I had issues with the brake fluid boiling and causing the clutch to not release after a few minutes of driving. Heat sleeve and it was good to go.

Jet

·
Registered
1 Posts
You could do something like this? This is normally to move it back though.

Google Image Result for http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w337/anthonynadalin/ShifterHandle21.jpg

I just left the Mustang tailshaft on mine.
New to this forum. 1963 Fairlane Sports Coupe. 289 with a world class T-5. Can you tell me where you got this shifter set up? Do you have the factory center console and were you able to use the original chrome insert that the shifter comes through without any modifications? Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts