Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, before I go and break stuff, how do I go about taking the lights, wipers and the air plastic bezels off? I was able to take a few off, but am stuck on these. I wanna take the dash all apart, paint it, fix the aluminum piece and replace these bezels with new ones that I got. I did get that slotted tool but can't find it yet. A couple of suggestions would be great if you could. Finished doing the instrument cluster, like taking the yellow off the speedo and polished the clear plastic lens. Also painted the surround and everything looks sweet. I'm on a kind of role here and got snagged on the dash trim, any help? Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Did you get the bezels off of the vent knobs? I can't figure that out for nothing. The headlight switch has a button that you have depress which releases it from the dash mounting. You have to reach around the back side (firewall side) of the dash to find it on the top of the headlight switch.

I think the wiper switch just unscrews and the bezel unswrews from the dash.

Let me know if you figure out about the vent pulls. They seem to be one piece that has to come out from the vent itself and then snaked forward through the dash.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
You have to disconnect the vents cables from the vent mechanism and pull through the whole assembly. A little tool should be purchased from one of the Galaxie parts books that make removing the bezels a lot easier. If you can't find it let me know and I'll post the address for the tool in the Dearborn Classics catalog.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually guys, I was able to find that tool in the basement, and it was helpful in removing the bezels. I read in the manual about the button on the headlight knob, then took that tool to turn the chrome screw in round retainer, thus having the switch fall out. As far as the vent one, this tool has a socket type end that fits over the vent knob shaft. Then just turn to unscrew the chrome piece and out that comes. The wiper one is similar. A little patience and that tool go a long way. You could use a wide flat screwdriver to turn but since you have to go overtop the vent knob shaft, that tool comes in handy. Got mine from Concours Parts in Nevada, but others sell them tool. Thanks for the info boys.

·
Registered
49 Posts
gbeeler wrote: "If you can't find it let me know and I'll post the address for the tool in the Dearborn Classics catalog."

Any chance you can post that info? Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts