Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been putting this 64 Fairlane together since last summer, and this is how I built the exhaust from the Dyno-Max mufflers, back.

First is a shot of the exhaust at the time of purchase. Nothing wrong with it; I just wanted a full system, minus X-pipe.

Sliding a 10 foot angle iron under the mufflers and 2x4 blocks above, they held nicely in place throughout the process.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
<o:p></o:p>
Clamps and hangers, too, of course.

<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>
A bit of measuring and then, right to the chop saw.
With no model or guide to follow, everything gets tacked and tried until it fits.
Welding, grinding and a simple pressure test seals it up.

A good high-heat paint may help it last longer.

I'm happy with the performance, look and sound, which is not quite as loud. The very low (annoyingly so) freqencies have also been attenuated somewhat.

This is my first try at building something like this.

Cost:about $180.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Don't blame you for not wanting the X-pipe...sure it may flow better, but how is the sound supposed to sound better? LIES Magnaflow! :bs: It seems like you've gotten the best quality possible by doing it yourself, plus your exhaust system is tailored to what you want. Nice job. I can only imagine how good it sounds!

·
Registered
691 Posts
I also started doing my own exhaust systems a while back. It is ridiculous what muffler shops charge now.

I thought so too, until I found someone that would supply and run the 2.5 inch pipe for a full sized pickup for $260 all welded in and done by a real shop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts