Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm restoring a 64 Fairlane, and completely redoing the front end. I Have the front end stripped down to nothing. We've managed to get the old ball joints out of the lower control arms. My question is how do they need to be reinstalled. The old ones were riveted around the ball joint, and had a 4 inch flange. The flange was bolted to the control arm with the bolts for the strut rods, but they were also spot welded in 4 spots. When putting the new ones in, will the bolts that replace the rivets, and the bolts for the strut rod be sufficient? Or should I weld the flanges back in. They were a pain to get out, and don't look forward to ever having to do it again.

TIA
GGroth

·
Registered
977 Posts
I simply added the bolts to the rivet holes, and then bolted in the strut rod. I rebuilt my Fairlane and a few Mustangs in that manner with no durability problems.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got mine from Espo springs, http://www.espo.com. They don't have their prices listed because of volatility in the pricing of the parts (what they told me), but they had everything I needed. I ordered everything for the front and back of my '64, minus the center link and pitman arm, and it came in around a grand (front/rear springs, upper/lower control arm bushings/shafts - the bushings/shafts for the uppers were expensive - but were expensive everywhere I looked, upper/lower ball joints, inner/outer tie rod ends, strut rod bushings, idler arm bushings, shackles, U-bolts, everything). Real nice to deal with, and they shipped pretty fast too.

Cheers,
GGroth

·
Registered
977 Posts
I ordered a complete front-end rebuild kit from Performance Suspension (PST). They will probably sell the lower ball joint separately.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I ended up paying about 450.00 for upper control arm kits, lower control arm bushings, upper and lower ball joints and idler arm.

At this time forget trying to find a manual steer drag link for 64-65 fairlanes made after 3-2-64.

I have a brand new pair of outer tie rod ends for 62-65 manual steer car if you are interested.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Just Strokin on 5/22/02 9:37am ]</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.