Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day,

I have a question for those of you who have seen or used Crites Sub Frame connectors. I need advice concerning were they should be welded in the rear of the car.

Everything I have read states the front rails should be about 12 inches from the weld pinch under the vehicle. I can see where they can be welded on the front frame of the car and how the angled part of the connectors will match up with the frame too. However the rear raises some questions?

Should I but them up against the leaf spring bracket or make them go inside of the rear leaf spring bracket/Torque box and then weld them? Should I make a cap and use it to connect the sub frame connectors to the rear uni-frame Torque box? Advice Please!!!!

Once they are welded would you recommend bolting the sub-frame connectors in various "strong" spot through-out the car?

Thanks for the help and advice!!!!

Holley 650 cfm
"One day it will run 15.9999999..."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gordog on 6/20/06 9:12pm ]</font>

·
Registered
278 Posts
I had crites connectors installed and then took them out. Used a piece of 1x2 inch steel and welded full length of car from torque box to torque box along the pinch weld. Only came thru the floor in front of the rear seat but all the way on the side.

Maybe I installed the crites wrong but there was a large gap under the front floor pan where there was the potential for twist. They were big and ugly too. If I remember right mine welded to the torque box just in front of the front rear spring mount.

Pete

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pete,

Thanks for the reply. They are big and ugly however could you tell me did you lay them flat on on their side underneeth the car? I plan on welding them up to the front subframe and then making a cap-like piece of steel for help attaching to the rear torque boxes.

Thanks again,

Gordon,

·
Registered
278 Posts
I laid them flat. Welded on front torque box, then on the piece that Crites gives you under the seat brace and back on the rear torque boxes. They were ran at a slight angle wider in the back. I took some angle iron and braced them on the torque boxes too.

Pete

·
Registered
673 Posts
If you look at the Tech pages at woodysfairlanegt site there is a how to install on sub-frame connectors that really works well.
it includes a piece of metal bent to shape of the seat frame crossbar for even better strength.
Great cheap mod

·
Registered
21 Posts
No insult meant, but I think this type of sub-frame connector is pure crap
simply because they do not attach properly to one of the most important
parts of the uni-body - the floorpan from front to rear. Now if the floor
contour was the same as the contour on the top of the rails, and if you could
attach through the pan without cutting or welding the existing pan OK. I don't
think you should lose grond clearance by attaching to the bottom of the exist
ing frame. Good stuff costs good bucks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts