Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally found that elusive 64 Sports Coupe I have been hunting for two years now. 79,000 mile 100% original car. A complete ground up restoration is in store for it, but with a more modern power train. A crate Ford Racing 427 small block with a strong version of the Borg Warner T5 will replace the 289/c4. Current diff is an 8" Trac loc. I know I can fit a 9" in there real easy, but what about a more modern and lighter weight 8.8"? I would have the benefit of factory disk brakes and a good selection of gear ratios, but will it hold up to the 520 ft lbs of torque the 427 delivers? Another option might be to replace the 8" third member with a rebuilt and beefed up four pinion like I did in my '70 Mustang 351w. What do you Fairlane fanatics say?

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Get a 8.8" from a Explorer. Find one with Disc brakes. You will also get 31 spline axles. Also 3.73 gears and Trac-Loc.

You may need to get a extra right side axle, cut approx 3" from the drivers side axle tube, weld it back together. Slide the extra right side axle in.

Some people have drilled the spot welds and pulled the drivers side tube out, cut 3" and slid it back in. Then welded the spot welds back up. I wasn't able to do that though.

Good to go. I've got one in my 65 Falcon. 400+ Hp and Tq

Jet

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jet, that sounds exactly like what I want to do. That gear ratio would be perfect for the Windsor big block and T5 five speed. What combination of brake parts did you use for your front disk brakes and master cylinder?

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I also installed a R&C Motorsports Mustang II IFS while I had the car apart.

I used a late model Mustang Master cylinder, it bolts right on. I did bend up new brake lines front to rear. I didn't use a Disc/Disc master cyl though. But I haven't had any issues with braking.

You could get brackets and parts list from Scarebird to swap to front disc. Or Welcome to CSRP.

There are many ways to go I guess.

Hope it helps.

Jet

1 - 5 of 5 Posts