Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been daily driving my 1964 Ranchero 260 v8 3 on the tree for about 5 months now, and as the summer in colorado approaches I will be making more frequent trips through the mountains and on highways and the lack of gearing in the 3 speed is beginning to limit My Ranchero's usability.

My auto tech class has a running driving 5.0 out of a foxbody with all the wiring and EFI bits that I can get for cheap, but I am having a lot of trouble with finding info on a transmission. I would like to stick with a manual, so I was thinking a a toploader 4 speed would be a good idea, since I have read that it would be much more work to put a t5 in. If I were to go this route I would need one with a DKT tailhousing and the appropriate bellhousing, is there anything else I should be looking for? Should I even bother with the 4 speed or should I sell my car and get a ford that is a bit more adept and highway and mountain driving.

Thanks!

Sorry I accidently posted In the Falcon forum as well, but I think this is a more appropriate place for my question.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check out moderndriveline.com if you decide to go with the T-5. I used a few parts from them to install a T-5 in my 65' Ranchero with a carburated 302. I found a suitable T-5 on Craigslist and a S10 tail piece in a junk yard. My car was originally a 289, T-10. If you have the time and resources, the 5.0 with a T-5 is a great combination.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Maybe new rear end gearing would be the thing to look at. The three and four speed will both have the same final gearing, so I don't think there would be a whole lot to gain there. The 5.0 with EFI will suffer less from significant changes in elevation over a carb set up, and the engine will be making more power than the old 260. What is it that you really want it to do and how much time and money do you have to get it there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's kinda what I was thinking, new rear end gearing as well as a different transmission. I figure that a 4 speed would help with the mountain drivability, one more gear to use.

I think I'm going to start looking for a fuel injected 302 or 351 I can get for cheap and I'll go from there. Probably going to go for a top loader 4speed and new rear end gears, since the modern drivline stuff is a bit out of my price range.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Time isn't really a issue since I'm a high school student and summer break is coming up, but money is, since I only have a partime low wage job.

·
Subscriber
749 Posts
Just get the 3/4" adapter plate and put the T5 behind the 260's bellhousing.
You may want the S-10 tailshaft as well.
fab a crossmember.
shorten driveshaft if necessary.
put in shorter rear gears to match.
done.

way easier than doing a full 302/EFI swap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What's the history of the engine? Ever been rebuilt? How many miles on it?

Maybe do a compression test on all cylinders and a leak down test on each cylinder to make sure they're all sealing up good.

Sent from your favorite pub...

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I have a flywheel and clutch disc for a top loader. Low miles when pulled out of my falcon. It's for a 28oz imbalance engine though.

If you are interested, PM me.

Also, If you go with the fox body 302, I have some good info on doing the EFI wiring.

Jet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts