Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 64 Ford Falcon 170 (inline 6) And have recently replaced the head gasket. And rebuilt the Carburator. Since then, I have to adjust the idle adjust screw way out... like 5 or 6 turns to get the car to idle correctly. Also, The car will not shift for like 10 minutes in the morning... Once it heats up, it shifts fine. Any thoughts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have another Falcon owner on board.

Usual suspect for a bad idle is a vacuum leak between the carb and the intake. Since the intake is cast to the head you don't have to worry about any intake gaskets. I'd spray some carb cleaner at the base of the carb and see if the idle changes. Also check the vacuum line between the carb and distributor. Thats some place to start.

As for your transmission, does it go into 1st, but just not shift into 2nd and 3rd? How does it idle in gear?

You might consider reposting in the tech section, you will most likely get a little more help there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, thought i was in the tech section...

Uhm... It goes into 1st (its a two speed auto) but it wont shift into second until she is good and warmed up. I thought one of the possibilities is that I didn't torque the head bolts down correctly. I did them in order, but I didn't oil them. Should I retroque.

Tim

·
Registered
660 Posts
Sounds like a sticky valve in your transmission valve body. Soon as it warms up they free up. When was the last time you changed the transmission fluid? If it's been awhile change it. If it's really gummed up you may want to pull the transmission pan off, remove the valve body and clean it up.

There could be some "transmission flushing" products out there to try, never used any myself though.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a 64 Comet with an inline six/two speed auto. Im having what sounds like the same problem with my transmission. Transmission wont shift into second until the motor is good and warm. My dad had talked to a mechanic and he said that it may be that the vacuum modulator in the transmission is sticky or shot. I have not investigated this theory yet, but I hope it helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts