Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some serious rust damage on my '64 Falcon frame rails, front and rear. All the youtube videos that I've seen are Mustang restorations, and some of the videos (like Jo Daddy's Garage) are really helpful. But before I buy Mustang parts, can anybody here confirm that the '64 Falcon frame rails are the same dimensions as '64.5 and '65 Mustang frame rails? My understanding is that Ford just changed the sheetmetal and the layout dimensions for the Mustang in '64.5 but that the Mustang structural chassis parts should fit on a '64 Falcon.

I have a '65 Ford service manual for the Falcon, Comet and Mustang and some of the locating points are shown to be different for the Rear Spring Front and Rear hanger locations by about 3" for example, and some of the diagonal dimensions are different as I would expect because of the redesigned Mustang sheet metal.

But the customer service kids at CJ Pony parts and other vendors will only say, "Our parts are for Mustangs, our parts are for Mustangs, our parts are for Mustangs". Yeah, I understand that's the safe thing to say. But in the REAL WORLD has anybody here used '65 Mustang chassis parts on a '64 Falcon build?

Thanks for any replies, take some time off your projects and have a great Turkey Day!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've got some serious rust damage on my '64 Falcon frame rails, front and rear. All the youtube videos that I've seen are Mustang restorations, and some of the videos (like Jo Daddy's Garage) are really helpful. But before I buy Mustang parts, can anybody here confirm that the '64 Falcon frame rails are the same dimensions as '64.5 and '65 Mustang frame rails? My understanding is that Ford just changed the sheetmetal and the layout dimensions for the Mustang in '64.5 but that the Mustang structural chassis parts should fit on a '64 Falcon.

I have a '65 Ford service manual for the Falcon, Comet and Mustang and some of the locating points are shown to be different for the Rear Spring Front and Rear hanger locations by about 3" for example, and some of the diagonal dimensions are different as I would expect because of the redesigned Mustang sheet metal.

But the customer service kids at CJ Pony parts and other vendors will only say, "Our parts are for Mustangs, our parts are for Mustangs, our parts are for Mustangs". Yeah, I understand that's the safe thing to say. But in the REAL WORLD has anybody here used '65 Mustang chassis parts on a '64 Falcon build?

Thanks for any replies, take some time off your projects and have a great Turkey Day!
I have these references. Hopefully you find them useful.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m curious about the same thing, but mine is a 65 falcon convertible. Bad rust damage, need all new frame rails. I can’t find anything for falcon, so was hoping mustang was the same. Did you ever find out?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m curious about the same thing ... Did you ever find out?
Sorry, never got any answers here. I am about to get mine up on the lift and get in deep. I'm thinking if I can't get repop parts, I'll cut out the rusted areas and just weld in some flat plates. I don't need concours perfection, I'm just trying to make the car safe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a 64 falcon vert and 9 mustangs- parts of the rails are the same that could be used to piece the falcon ones but they are def not the same. Wes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts