Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some serious rust damage on my '64 Falcon frame rails, front and rear. All the youtube videos that I've seen are Mustang restorations, and some of the videos (like Jo Daddy's Garage) are really helpful. But before I buy Mustang parts, can anybody here confirm that the '64 Falcon frame rails are the same dimensions as '64.5 and '65 Mustang frame rails? My understanding is that Ford just changed the sheetmetal and the layout dimensions for the Mustang in '64.5 but that the Mustang structural chassis parts should fit on a '64 Falcon.

I have a '65 Ford service manual for the Falcon, Comet and Mustang and some of the locating points are shown to be different for the Rear Spring Front and Rear hanger locations by about 3" for example, and some of the diagonal dimensions are different as I would expect because of the redesigned Mustang sheet metal.

But the customer service kids at CJ Pony parts and other vendors will only say, "Our parts are for Mustangs, our parts are for Mustangs, our parts are for Mustangs". Yeah, I understand that's the safe thing to say. But in the REAL WORLD has anybody here used '65 Mustang chassis parts on a '64 Falcon build?

Thanks for any replies, take some time off your projects and have a great Turkey Day!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've got some serious rust damage on my '64 Falcon frame rails, front and rear. All the youtube videos that I've seen are Mustang restorations, and some of the videos (like Jo Daddy's Garage) are really helpful. But before I buy Mustang parts, can anybody here confirm that the '64 Falcon frame rails are the same dimensions as '64.5 and '65 Mustang frame rails? My understanding is that Ford just changed the sheetmetal and the layout dimensions for the Mustang in '64.5 but that the Mustang structural chassis parts should fit on a '64 Falcon.

I have a '65 Ford service manual for the Falcon, Comet and Mustang and some of the locating points are shown to be different for the Rear Spring Front and Rear hanger locations by about 3" for example, and some of the diagonal dimensions are different as I would expect because of the redesigned Mustang sheet metal.

But the customer service kids at CJ Pony parts and other vendors will only say, "Our parts are for Mustangs, our parts are for Mustangs, our parts are for Mustangs". Yeah, I understand that's the safe thing to say. But in the REAL WORLD has anybody here used '65 Mustang chassis parts on a '64 Falcon build?

Thanks for any replies, take some time off your projects and have a great Turkey Day!
I have these references. Hopefully you find them useful.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m curious about the same thing, but mine is a 65 falcon convertible. Bad rust damage, need all new frame rails. I can’t find anything for falcon, so was hoping mustang was the same. Did you ever find out?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m curious about the same thing ... Did you ever find out?
Sorry, never got any answers here. I am about to get mine up on the lift and get in deep. I'm thinking if I can't get repop parts, I'll cut out the rusted areas and just weld in some flat plates. I don't need concours perfection, I'm just trying to make the car safe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a 64 falcon vert and 9 mustangs- parts of the rails are the same that could be used to piece the falcon ones but they are def not the same. Wes

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
parts of the rails are the same that could be used to piece the falcon ones but they are def not the same. Wes
Thanks for the confirmation, Wes. Much appreciated.
For my project, I'll try to cut out the rusted areas and weld in some new metal. I'm just making it safe to drive.

·
Registered
105 Posts
the convertable is even more different - due to no top the vehicle is more flexable/crash prone. So most verts have alot of their structural integrity ina beefed up floor OEM. Go to the falcon specific clubs'n ask these Qs. They R better then vendors (wanna sell, may not know a different Y/M/M...
I gotta 4 WD falcon but don't trust any1 but my bronk club (net) guys...HTH~

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I gotta 4 WD falcon
Thanks for the input Chrlsful you're right about the verts being built different. I'm trying to get on to the TFFN website but have gotten no response from the site owner yet.

And if I'm reading your message correctly we need to see some pics of your 4WD Falcon!! :p

·
Registered
105 Posts
yeh, I think that's one of them, good on yah mate.
Now 4 da pic, I wish I could figure how to get my avatar up here.
I think there's another falcon site or 2. The tffn is in NorCali? seems I saw nother around...?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts