Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of info on here, can't decide between dougs 1 5/8 tri y or bbk 1569 at 1 3/4. have read that both will work nice but will they work with my world product head (sr.)on a 351w MII hyd. clutch toploader,victor jr. intake, no carb yet? Fpa might work but are $650 bare with not much feedback and part #?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Lots of info on here, can't decide between dougs 1 5/8 tri y or bbk 1569 at 1 3/4. have read that both will work nice but will they work with my world product head (sr.)on a 351w MII hyd. clutch toploader,victor jr. intake, no carb yet? Fpa might work but are $650 bare with not much feedback and part #?
FPA headers will not fit. I live about 10 miles from Stan and he let me borrow a few sets of his headers to test fit. He did have a drivers side header that would work with minor mod but no passenger side. I do not believe dougs has a header for the 351W and MII. Stay with the BBK1569 for the best fit and as a bonus you have the 1 3/4" long tubes. Most of the FOXBODY short tubes will fit also.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, talked with stan the other day, he said he could send me a pair and test fit for $650 uncoated. Also said he has the only header that will fit the world product heads.( from a list I got from Rod and Customs..) Thats what got my pants all buched up. Another guy on here keeps saying Dougs fit like a glove.1 5/8 tri y(also on the list from R&C.) I read somewhere that the bbks heat the passenger side carpet pretty well( on a mustang I think it was.) That would be better than dragging the ground right? I think the bbks are for me. Thanks a bunch for the info!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Im not sure what brand headers I have, but I also have the World Windsor SR. heads. The headers are in 2 pieces. One piece for the front 2 cyl. and the other piece for the rear 2. They slip into the tubes down by the collector and have a bracket to hold them in. I have the car on the lift, so if I get a chance later, I will take some pictures.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Im not sure what brand headers I have, but I also have the World Windsor SR. heads. The headers are in 2 pieces. One piece for the front 2 cyl. and the other piece for the rear 2. They slip into the tubes down by the collector and have a bracket to hold them in. I have the car on the lift, so if I get a chance later, I will take some pictures.
Sounds like the Crites headers. I would like to see some pics when you get a chance.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered the bbk's 1569 in ceramic today $600 with stage 8 bolts/locks. Cmefly has been there done that and the pics look very familiar. Now I just hope they work with my top loader. Do you guys run a scatter shield or stock bell housings?

·
Registered
678 Posts
I ordered the bbk's 1569 in ceramic today $600 with stage 8 bolts/locks. Cmefly has been there done that and the pics look very familiar. Now I just hope they work with my top loader. Do you guys run a scatter shield or stock bell housings?
Always use a scatershield with a 4-speed. I had a friend in High School that lost a flywheel and it went through the top of the car. He was lucky and only had minor cuts to his legs. Keep us posted with some pics on your project.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, better get one, someday my son will probably steal the car and drive it like so. Haven't figured out the picture thing yet,still kinda new to the show. what's the url and where can I get one or two of them?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
turns out the bbk 1569 1 3/4 headers do not mate up to the world product heads that great. the headers have a 2" tall opening and the heads machined mating surface is only 1 3/4 tall. would a weld bead across the bottom of the flanges work to fill in the gap? I'm thinking an adapter plate would do the trick... Other than that cmefly nailed it, they fit great with the MII front end and steering linkage.. Mine have about 1/8" from the frame on one of the tubes(passenger side) Even clear the mcloud scattershield fine.

·
Registered
678 Posts
turns out the bbk 1569 1 3/4 headers do not mate up to the world product heads that great. the headers have a 2" tall opening and the heads machined mating surface is only 1 3/4 tall. would a weld bead across the bottom of the flanges work to fill in the gap? I'm thinking an adapter plate would do the trick... Other than that cmefly nailed it, they fit great with the MII front end and steering linkage.. Mine have about 1/8" from the frame on one of the tubes(passenger side) Even clear the mcloud scattershield fine.
No need to fill in the gap if they will seal with the header gasket in place.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I could burn out a piece of 1/4" plate to match the gasket but with a little more meat on the bottom to make up for the loss of material on the heads but it would push my headers into the frame on the passenger side. I had already planned to notch that out like cmefly had to do so..... any other options? The headers fit so nice everywhere else I think this is the best option!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
That's a huge header tube in relation to your port size. Have you looked at any other options or do you plan on porting your heads to match?

How much room do you have between your collectors and the bottom of the car? Can you run a set of 5.0 headers by BBK or someone else?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bigger is better right? I see no reason to grind the head, just thinking an adapter plate to block off the void at the bottom. Is this a bad idea? More bolts or through bolts? The heads have more holes tapped for wider mounting location which will come in handy if I don't decide to through bolt both pieces. I think these are for the fox body 351 conversion

·
Registered
678 Posts
Bigger is better right? I see no reason to grind the head, just thinking an adapter plate to block off the void at the bottom. Is this a bad idea? More bolts or through bolts? The heads have more holes tapped for wider mounting location which will come in handy if I don't decide to through bolt both pieces. I think these are for the fox body 351 conversion
That really sucks as they fit your car better then mine. You could weld up the ports on the headers to fit a standard style header gasket but it may ruin your finish. I have not found a better fitting header in a long tube. Nothing wrong with those ports if you had more mating surface. The adapter plate would not be a problem but it would be a shame to have to notch the frame rails to clear. If it was me I would Weld up the header ports. Keep us posted with more pics. Mike

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
FPA headers fit my World Senior Heads. They were the only long tubes I could find that would. I'm running them on a 347 with rack and pinion. Still they mate up to the heads. May not work with a taller deck 351 because they do tuck up pretty close to the frame. I also made a set of shorties work by grinding the flange around the spark plugs on the drivers side. So when you say they won't fit the seniors that is a broad statement. sometimes a little grinding in the right places works wonders.
t

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm guessing I would have to strip the ceramic off first to bare metal for good contact but not sure what would happen after welding. would it flake off or nothing at all? ceramic does well with heat right but has anyone have experience welding through or around it? Notching the frame is something I already expected to do with these headers and is right up my alley so I will probably go that route and leave the headers be.
I was thinking someone had already tried fpa and they did not work with the 351 in a falcon/comet but anything is possible with enough sweat.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm guessing I would have to strip the ceramic off first to bare metal for good contact but not sure what would happen after welding. would it flake off or nothing at all? ceramic does well with heat right but has anyone have experience welding through or around it? Notching the frame is something I already expected to do with these headers and is right up my alley so I will probably go that route and leave the headers be.
I was thinking someone had already tried fpa and they did not work with the 351 in a falcon/comet but anything is possible with enough sweat.
Yes someone did try Stan's FPA headers. That would be me. The drivers side will fit if you move the square stock brace on the engine mount from the center to the rear of the mount. The passenger side header will not fit, They are actually made for a 65/66 Mustang that has more room between frame rails. Make sure you have the room to move the drivers side header out 1/4" with the plate and still clear the steering linkage. I think you will have the room.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts