Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a i6 64 falcon and i am putting in a 5.0. I allready bought some frame mounts that came out of a 67 cougar. Do the one piece frame mounts locate the motor different than the older 3 piece style mount brackets? I allready test fit them with my block and aod trans and trans mount and everything fit great, but i am going with the unisteer rack and pinion.I am thinking that unisteer mocked up the rack system with the old 3 piece mounts.

any help would be great

Brian

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I'm not sure how the motor sets on those mounts, but you may be able to raise it with spacers.
Unisteer used the stock mounts during the mach up.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Brian,
Its best to use the 63-65 v-8 falcon,comet,64 1/2 65 mustang 3 piece mounts. If you use the 66-70 mounts it will move your engine 1 1/2" to far foward. Measure 11 1/2" from fire wall to ctr of carb and you are right on. This way you can use a stock radiator in the stock position.Depending on which water pump you have you should have room for stock 5 or 6 blade fan.

Hope This Helps:
Butch Evans(Falconeer)
Thomasville NC

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow that helps alot, i had no idea that it was that far foward. My plan was to use a alum. rad and a electric fan. Will i have room for that? will the motor be higher or lower than the 3 piece mounts? Now you got me wondering. Time for another mock up i guess

·
Registered
116 Posts
wow that helps alot, i had no idea that it was that far foward. My plan was to use a alum. rad and a electric fan. Will i have room for that? will the motor be higher or lower than the 3 piece mounts? Now you got me wondering. Time for another mock up i guess
Brian,
I would say yes you will have room for both(rad.& elec fan depending on the length of water pump & thickness of rad. The engine should set right heigth with the 3 piece mounts, if you have v-8 front susp. if you have 6-cyl susp. you may have to space the engine up 3/8" 0f an in. becouse of how the 6 cyl. ctr. link bolts in. (from the top-v-8 ctr. link bolts in from the bottom. V-8 ctr. link gives you about an inch or more clearence.
Butch Evans(Falconeer)
Thomasville NC

·
Registered
116 Posts
Brian,
I ment to add: I have a 63 2dr sedan (orig 6 cyl.) it now has a 95 5.0 Cobra motor & 5 speed In it. Also a 65 2dr wagon with a 91 5.0 efi & 5 speed. Both cars have the 3 piece mounts on them. NO issues except the 63 still has the 6 cyl susp. and i had to space the engine up 3/8 of an inch to get clearence on the 6 cyl ctr. link. Soon to be v-8 susp.

Butch Evans(Falconeer)
Thomasville NC

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need a little help. Trying to put 5.0 with AOD trans Need a bolt in trans crossmember so I can position motor mounts.It has Rack & Pinion already installed need to weld in new mounts any idea which ones. This is in 1964 Falcon Ranchero
Bill
Lewisburg WV

1 - 7 of 7 Posts