Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been racing my sprint for about 15 years now. My wife what's to start driving it on the street again. what is a good street gear 8" rearend. I have 4:11 in it now
I'm going to put a stock valvebody back in it.
thank you,Alan

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Dont think i would jump in and change alot, try it as is, unless the VB is a full man rev type or something... Guess you only have a 3 sp trans (no O/D) but unless you do alot of freeway driving the 4:11's wont be all that bad really.. M2C of course, But not cut and paste... ;)

(The rear gear is a personal thing really)

MRO.....

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
With the 8" rear and a 26" tall tire i would look for a 3.55 or 3.40 ratio without overdrive.
Agreed. I'm running a 3.50 trac loc and 26" tires and it's fine. For freeway cruising I'm usually in the slow lane at 65 ish since even then I'm spinning 3,000+ RPM on the tach. It's not overly high RPM but my car eats a LOT of fuel at speed so I'm only trying to conserve a little when I can. As it is I'm under 10 MPG freeway, so it helps! ;)

John

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a stock 302 with 351w heads with 735 holly and a C-4, I'm thinking of 3:25 gears.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I have 3.55's in my Fairlane, With the C4 I wasn't to happy with the buzzing around the interstate at 3k+ RPM at 55 or 60 MPH.

Switched it to a T5, Much happier!

Jet

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have 3.55's in my Fairlane, With the C4 I wasn't to happy with the buzzing around the interstate at 3k+ RPM at 55 or 60 MPH.

Switched it to a T5, Much happier!

Jet
Try 4:11's with a 4 speed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts