Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have a 64 Falcon Futura with a 289/ C4 transmission. been working on it for sometime now but i simply cant afford the Mustang 2 front suspension anytime soon.
So i was hoping someone on here would have other suggestions for better handling. I heard of people upgrading to a 65 mustangs front steering.. and some others 65 falcon's manual steering.. but i like the power steering my car has. oh what to do what to do.. :confused:

·
Registered
465 Posts
hi i have a 64 Falcon Futura with a 289/ C4 transmission. been working on it for sometime now but i simply cant afford the Mustang 2 front suspension anytime soon.
So i was hoping someone on here would have other suggestions for better handling. I heard of people upgrading to a 65 mustangs front steering.. and some others 65 falcon's manual steering.. but i like the power steering my car has. oh what to do what to do.. :confused:
Upgrading to 65 falcon or mustang steering can make big difference in the handling. Just make sure you use the falcon center link not one from a mustang. If you still want power steering either find a complete ford ps setup or consider a Borgeson steering box. Either setup will still need a pump.
R

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm.. so it doesnt look like there's an "in between" set up for an upgrade.. it has to be one or the other.. (simple manual steering, or spend a ton of cash for power steering). Well At Least Now i Know.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My 64 has original power. After rebuilding with all new upper and lower arms, poly spring perches, global west stiffer strut bushings, new springs, shocks, etc. I didn't rebuild the steering box or power ram unit as they seemed OK.The car tracks strait, has minimal dead spot at center. All those suspension parts did help. You might like it that way. You will need the ram assy., PS center link, idler arm and Pittman ( i think)and inner PS tie rods . Your box is probably 19/1 ratio. PS boxes are 16/1, not sure if you need to change it. After a few months of driving mine , Ive decided to switch to 65 falcon manual steering. I just cant feel the road. Ill probably sell my parts when done.They come up on CL and E bay often. I'm keeping the 16/1 box, I'm going with A 65 center link from falcon parts.com, inner and outer tie rods Moog, Pittman from 67 PS stang, and the roller idler arm from open tracker, which will make the manual easier to steer. Plus a bunch of positive caster. I have it at 3 degrees now, the wheel goes right back to center. I'm currently purchasing part a few at a time as I wont feel the pain. Last fall I did the suspension, next the steering. Collect parts bit by bit, just do your homework so you don't buy the wrong parts. Buy quality, or you will regret it. There are some good threads on this here, do a search. Hope that helps. GK

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well the reason why im so iffy about manual steering is because my steering wheel isn't the original one and its got the wrong screws in it holding the steering wheel in place because the original screws for that grant adapter kit rounded out the base.. like they didnt hold the steering wheel in place. so if i get manual steering that'll mess up even worse. then i don't like the stock steering wheel because it's HUGE.

·
Registered
121 Posts
im going with the 16/1 PS box and an aftermarket wheel. i expect it to be stiff,, but with the roller idler and poly perches, and plenty of castor, il see how it goes, update later this summer, too nice out here to put her on blocks just yet. Gk

·
Registered
340 Posts
well the reason why im so iffy about manual steering is because my steering wheel isn't the original one and its got the wrong screws in it holding the steering wheel in place because the original screws for that grant adapter kit rounded out the base.. like they didnt hold the steering wheel in place. so if i get manual steering that'll mess up even worse. then i don't like the stock steering wheel because it's HUGE.
There's a reason the stock wheel is huge. It's called leverage. It makes it much easier to turn that manual steering at low speeds. Personally, I'd dump that Grant wheel and go back to stock. But hey, it's your car. Set it up the way you want it.

And for the person setting up a power box on a manual system, you'll hate it in parking lots. I have that set up now. Parking lots are a nightmare.

·
Registered
121 Posts
And for the person setting up a power box on a manual system, you'll hate it in parking lots. I have that set up now. Parking lots are a nightmare.
wheel see, I mostly live and drive in the sticks. Like to drive on hilly mountain roads. The roller idler may help, and I have two stock steering wheels. Maybe a good upper body workout, I never go to a gym. As A last resort I'll change to a new manual box, as the ol 16/1 is original. GK

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have a 65 Falcon with the manual steering. It has a smaller steering wheel than the stock wheel. I also have 215-45-17 tires on the front. It is a hand full parking.I plan to switch to the CCP power steering kit in the near furture.From what I've read the CCP steering box is smaller than the other steering boxs out there.I hope it will help clear the tube headers that are on my car.From what I've read it will clear the headers.Roger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts