Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Brake question again

the hold down springs for the front shoes (4 of them) or 2 on each shoe they seem to be different in size and spring tension? Where do they go?

Anybody else notice this?
Only reason i say is my country sedans front brake parts were all left
on the floor of the car when bought.
I also have a long spring very thin that looks to connect the two shoes together but no where mentioned in the shop manual.??

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
OK Brake question again

the hold down springs for the front shoes (4 of them) or 2 on each shoe they seem to be different in size and spring tension? Where do they go?

Anybody else notice this?
Only reason i say is my country sedans front brake parts were all left
on the floor of the car when bought.
I also have a long spring very thin that looks to connect the two shoes together but no where mentioned in the shop manual.??
look at pictures in this post.
maybe that will help you......

Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum - View Single Post - Complete Brake Job on my 63 pics

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
9t3,
I think the hold down springs are supposed to be the same. Maybe the hardware was replaced on one side only with a different brand? The long spring you are talking about does not show up in my manual either. I THINK they are used when the car does not have self adjuster hardware.

I can check the hold down springs on my car, but not till Tuesday. My guess is that you have a mix of different hardware.

Good luck,
Steve

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought they might be mixed up too, but then pulled the front end i had
, so i took all 4 off and noticed 2 are short and 2 longer (weird) but the pins
are the same length.
Now the wagon has self adjusting brakes as did my 64 fastback that parts
but the wagon has that long adjusting spring type spring.
Maybe something to do with the 3" wide brakes?

Now as for the hold downs again, the 2 different spring sizes were on both cars
so the chances of them both being screwed up is hard to believe.
Or maybe other people just never noticed the size difference.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok went to an old wise friend (he's 57 i'm 43) so thats wise lol
anyway he pulled out some old/new brake hardware and told me about these
for the 427 fords with the 3" front brakes, i used them and my brakes are good as new. I also noticed in the original parts from the wagon that they too were longer on the front hold down springs to grab the pins. See attached

Attachments

·
Registered
645 Posts
I wonder if they came up with that idea some time after 62. My 62 wagon pins and springs were definitely longer for the front brakes than the standard size, and the retainers were the same as the rears. Do you know where those deeper retainers can be purchased? I have a new set of pins and springs that I couldn't use. I had to reuse my old pins and springs in the front of my wagon because my new ones were too short.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts