Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all...The pressure hoses I bought from MAC's are approx. an inch too short. Part # 41-35558-1. Has anyone had this problem? Please reply with any problems yall may be having with finding the proper length hoses or direct me to another vendor who has the correct parts. Also has anyone removed the power steering belt and disabled the system? Is the car hard to steer or unsafe if the system is disabled? This is my first power steering Falcon and will probably be my last. All my past falcons have been manual steering. Any info or discussion will be appreciated. I'm sick of adding fluid and cleaning up the mess. Thanks in advance and please reply, advise etc....BamaBrown

·
Registered
378 Posts
Taking the belt off will make the car a bear to steer at slow speeds and will give you quite a workout trying to parallel park. I believe Ford used a different steering box ratio for the manual cars than the power steering models.
When I replaced mine the hoses seemed to be real taut but then I have long tube headers and the power ram lowering bracket too.
This says the hose is 9-3/4" long. They are also owned by Ecklers but they have a different part number than Macs.

Here is another vendor that might be able to help

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks again BlueBird. I went ahead and removed the belt from the pump. I actually like the feel now. You are correct in that the low speed effort is increased but I think I'll leave it like this for a few more weeks at least. I was thinking about dearbornclassics but I have since found a hydraulic hose shop that can make em for me. Stay in touch and stay safe.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey BlueBird, I'm runnin' the long headers and lowering bracket too. Don't know when or who installed them or the manufacturer. It was like this when I got it. As a side bar..... my exhaust leaves allot to be desired. Sorta butchered (by me) with old cheery bomb mufflers and dumpin out just in front of the axle. All of my makin'. If I was still in my teens or even forty's it might be ok. However at my age it's gettin on my nerves. Thinkin bout series 40 Flow Masters and bringing the tails all the way out the back. What are you runnin'? Not very much room to play with under there as far as mufflers go. Please reply and stay safe. BamaBrown

·
Registered
2 Posts
While it is relatively safe to run the car without the pump working, you’re going to be really wearing out the internals of the power ram and piston, it needs to have the fluid constantly moving, not just sitting there, to properly do it’s job as an anti-wear

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dragcat351, I agree. I'm keepin the system full of fluid so the valve, cylinder and ram do not stay or run dry. Going to remove and shelve it all for safe keepin. Finally got my exhaust finished and it's good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts