Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,520 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Being a owner of a 64 with a 302 in it, to my knowledge ,they do not make headers for a 289/302 64 galaxie. I had a set of "patriot clipsters" which are short tube, for a 65-73 mustang. I had to buy mandrel u-bends and fab up my exhaust on the pass side because they dump straight out into the fire wall and I ran 3" exhaust. You may be able to bend 2 1/2 enough to work though. I now am running 'Hooker comp" full length headers for a 65-73 mustang. I had to do very slight(1/2 or less pucker) clearencing on the driver side engine frame mount. A couple love taps,to the frame mount,not the header, is all it took. Also because I am running 3" exhaust I had to fab a new trans cross member because of the exit piont but if you are running 2 1/2" you could should be able to get it bent to clear the cross member. I'll try to get some pics somtime soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Being a owner of a 64 with a 302 in it, to my knowledge ,they do not make headers for a 289/302 64 galaxie. I had a set of "patriot clipsters" which are short tube, for a 65-73 mustang. I had to buy mandrel u-bends and fab up my exhaust on the pass side because they dump straight out into the fire wall and I ran 3" exhaust. You may be able to bend 2 1/2 enough to work though. I now am running 'Hooker comp" full length headers for a 65-73 mustang. I had to do very slight(1/2 or less pucker) clearencing on the driver side engine frame mount. A couple love taps,to the frame mount,not the header, is all it took. Also because I am running 3" exhaust I had to fab a new trans cross member because of the exit piont but if you are running 2 1/2" you could should be able to get it bent to clear the cross member. I'll try to get some pics somtime soon.

thanks i would appretiate any help and pics would help alot

·
Registered
36 Posts
I haven't bought any from Mad Dog, but builds custom headers and his prices look pretty good. If he has headers for FE's and 429/460 combo's, a sbf shouldn't be a problem. And these are full length, not that shortie stuff.

Catalog

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've head that the shorties made for 80s-90-s f-series trucks work well in the fullsize cars.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
You won't find direct applications from most header companies, but that doesn't mean there aren't headers to fit, but don't expect any header to go in with out some modification. I ended up with Flowtech 12100's in my car because I didn't want to wait for the first choice Hooker 6901's. These are Torino direct application, but that is only because that is a more popular vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering if anyone knew of a company that made headers for a 1964 galaxie 500 with a 289?
Yes there is a direct fit now. It's fairly new. They are patriot headers from summit racing. I know because I just put a pair on my 63 1/2 Galaxie. They are a short hugger pair that drop down before the linkage. They not only fit but work with shift linkage for a three on the tree !

·
Registered
1963 Ford Galaxie 500
133 Posts
Yes there is a direct fit now. It's fairly new. They are patriot headers from summit racing. I know because I just put a pair on my 63 1/2 Galaxie. They are a short hugger pair that drop down before the linkage. They not only fit but work with shift linkage for a three on the tree !
Do you have a model number from Summit. There are a lot of types of the Patriot Headers, I have a 63 Galaxie with a 302, and would be very interested.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any chance you could share how you addressed the crossmember issue ? dealing with the same thing right now

1 - 12 of 12 Posts