Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again Galaxie friends,As usual , I need your wisdom.
First of all, I'm having hood alignment issues, the back part of the hood does not close all the way when the hood closes on both sides.When you push down on it after the hood is closed, it goes into place a little better,but it won't go down on the initial slam of the hood. I greased the hinges,shot oil in the hinges,etc. but no help. What adjustment can I try ????

The trunk is out of whack also, it closes level near the rear window, but it won't close at the back of the car ! We have tried to adjust the latch inside the trunk which does move up and down, but then the latch on top in the trunk won't catch when we lower that latch pin on the bottom. Again ,HELP !

Unfortunately when my car was put back together by the previous owner, he did it in a hurry.The doors are out of line also. The doors are a 1/2" off at the door handle compared to the bottom of the door where it is in line.
SO, before I start messing with anything, I thought I would check with the experts.
Thanks for all the help folks !!! you have all been a great mentors on my new 64!
And to answer a previous question, the car is called "STELLA".....
Thanks,
Red

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The hood issue sounds like worn hinges rather than an adjustment?
If you remove the hood then the hinge springs you can check for play in the rivets. If there is much slop there you will likely have to repair that before the hood ever closes properly at the rear.
One tip I might offer, If the hood lines up now (after you push the rear corners down) you should mark the hinge location on the hood before you take any bolts out. I usually just drill a 1/8" hole through the henge plate and the hood under bracing that way when you go back on you can just insert the 1/8" drill bit into the hole and the hood is automatically realigned to where it was.

Scott...

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I took my hood off when we did the motor replacement, and I removed the hinges, took them apart, and repainted them.

Hood hasn't lined up since. Same problem. Need to push down on the rear to get the hood level with the fender and cowl.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Same issue here on my '63. Original hinges that were acid dipped, new springs on them, rear corners now stick up until pushed down. Hope to find a solution....

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
let me know when you find the right solution !!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Does this make sense?

Since the hood can only go down so far (hits the rubber fender stops and the two adjusting stops in the front), what if we dropped the hinges a bit? (I'm not looking at the car right now, but don't the bolts on the fenders have adjustment capabilities?

Wouldn't the hood drop a little more, but not too far because of all the stops?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Does this make sense?

Since the hood can only go down so far (hits the rubber fender stops and the two adjusting stops in the front), what if we dropped the hinges a bit? (I'm not looking at the car right now, but don't the bolts on the fenders have adjustment capabilities?

Wouldn't the hood drop a little more, but not too far because of all the stops?
Yes and should work/help

Where the hood hinge bolts on to fender there should be some adjustment.
Not familiar with the Gal but some hinges have 2 bolts some have 3.
If you loosen bolts you can drop the rear of the hinge some to bring rear of hood down. If the rear of hinge is down the whole way, Then lift the front of the hinge some. This will also lower the rear of the hood

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes and should work/help

If you loosen bolts you can drop the rear of the hinge some to bring rear of hood down. If the rear of hinge is down the whole way, Then lift the front of the hinge some. This will also lower the rear of the hood
There is room for adjustment on all 3 of the hinge bolts. We lowered the rear hinge bolts all the way and the fender bolts were lowered all the way too. I'll try raising the fender bolts and see what happens......
When we took the springs off of the hood , the hood falls right into place when closed,maybe even a smidge low in the rear. b back with report later.....

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Subscribing to this thread as i will probably have this same issue next month when i put my hood, trunk and doors back on

·
Registered
830 Posts
I got to thinking that maybe i have to adjust the other side of the hood at the firewall, maybe if the tension isnt uniform, it will lift up one side kind of like a bind. Ill report back if im successful.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
this is a common problem with this type hood hinges....
when rivet/hole get worn the back of hood edge stays up..
thinking a new tighter spring will help.. no it don't.. the loose play in rivet area, just make the problem worse..

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Yes and should work/help

Yes, rise the front and lower the rear of the hinges as they bolt to the fenders, this will lower the hood at rest.

The doors should be aligned first on the car, door to quarter gap and body lines first. Don't set the door height by the rockers.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Yes, rise the front and lower the rear of the hinges as they bolt to the frontline , this will lower the hood at rest.

The doors should be aligned first on the car, door to quarter gap and body lines first. Don't set the door height by the rockers.
Excellent advice. I tried it real quick this morning and it helped a whole bunch. Ill have more time this weekend to fiddle with It. Seems like this is the adjustment to make it close correctly

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Yes, rise the front and lower the rear of the hinges as they bolt to the fenders, this will lower the hood at rest.

This has been my method in the past as well. With the hood in open position, by pushing up on the front of the hood, you force the back of the hinges down toward the floor.

Good luck, nothing more frustrating than having a hood that once fit great, only to have to fiddle with it later. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts