Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 64 for about 5 years, it has 57K miles. I noticed recently that the horns had stopped working when I pressed the horn and the alt/gen light comes on when you press the horn ring. The only thing that has changed since I bought it was I replaced the regulator awhile back. But havent used the horns so never noticed. Have replaced relay, checked horns by jumping them to a power source, both work. Took horn ring off and have replaced spring. Are there more then 1 spring in steering wheel/column on 64's. Any Idea's? Could regulator cause issue?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm only trying to help, so forgive me if I'm completely off base, and I'm not familiar with 64, but you mentioned changing voltage regulator? Seems I recall seeing some Fords through the years that have something right near the regulator, maybe mounted on one corner or something, that is the voltage regulator for the horn? Or, am I dreaming that? For some reason it's ringing a bell?? Seems I'm recalling it was sort of like a really small voltage reg just for the horn system???

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that is the horn relay that is a couple inches from the horns that mounts on the radiator core support. Replaced that also. I'm gonna get another one today in case the new one is bad also. Anyone else have a similar issue with the horns?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Make sure the steering wheel shaft is grounded. Remove the horn ring and take a jumper wire from the button and attach to a known good ground source, if the horns work you know the shaft needs grounding.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank's Tony, I will try that tomorrow. Pulled steering wheel off today and found the second spring/brush was broken. Replaced that and cleaned up the bottom of the steering wheel to ensure good contact. Still no power to the horns. Will check the ground on the steering column tomorrow with the jumper.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Even if you push directly in center of horn ring? I cleaned mine etc but at times still have issues if i don't push directly in center. Never changed anything since the horns do work if pushing center of horn ring and the durn thing will honk up a storm if i don't disconnect battery before removing horn ring. lol Towards the bottom of the steering column is a "rubber block" all the wires from the steering column go into and then continue out to fuse box etc. Might try cleaning that maybe also if the jumper does't work to honk it from the steering wheel.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried grounding steering shaft with horn ring off, took wheel off also.still nothing. But when reassembled, when I push the horn ring the alt/gen light comes on, but no horns. Will try cleaning off all the connections under the dash. Is there a fuse for the horns? I looked at the fuse block and they all seem to be good. Should there be power to the wire in the steering wheel for the horn? Used a test light and got nothing. Gremlins!

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
I can't remember if there is a fuse for the horn or not, think there might be but been too long since i even looked at my fuses...knock on wood. If there is you might clean the contacts that hold the fuse. Do you have a wiring diagram? You could use one it sounds like. You can get one here. When you had the horn ring off did you touch a wire from column to the little horn button? I would think there would have to be power there to be grounded to complete the circuit to honk the horn. I am not a wiring guru though.

The diagram might help with the wiring.
57-65 Ford Wiring Diagrams

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks shotrod, I have a wiring diagrahm, couldnt find anything bout a fuse. Maybe a broken wire inside the column. Tried just about everything else.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Electrical issues can drive a person bonkers. Find what wire leads inside the car through the firewall if you haven't already. I'm sure it has a seperation point somewhere that you could take apart and touch to a hot fuse to see if that makes the horn honk, if so you will know it's between there and the horn ring at least.

I just don't understand why the gen light is coming on, that makes no sense unless someone rewired something and ran the wires wrong or there is a couple wires crossed. Have you double checked the wiring for the generator to be sure someone didn't run one of the wires to the voltage regulator or rather the horn relay instead of regulator or some screwy thing like that?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like this was a generator car originally, and looking at the wiring schematic, the regulator on a 64 Gen. had a 3 wire connection. Car has a 4 wire plug now. May have spliced one on from a later model perhaps a 65. I have taken out the alternator and rechecked all the wiring which is correct. Breaking out the meter and start running continuity checks on the wiring. If I get it figured out I will advise. Did some of the 64's come with alternators rather then generators?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did continuity check of blue/ylw stripe wire from horn relay to horn button and it was good. Looks like who ever converted to alternator used a 65 harness from alt to regulator as wires are grn/rd stripe to I,yellow to A,wht w/blk stripe to s and wht to F. The green w red stripe is spiced into the yellow wire from the factory(64)harness just under the regulator. Still no horns. Jumped horn plug from ylw/w grn stripe to battery...worked fine.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
I haven't messed with the little copper or brass horn button thingy in the column in years but if I remember correctly it can be grounded to the top edge of the hole it's in and cause it to honk or a pair of pliers that you can poke one handle in the hole and touch the button then touch to the metal area of the top of the column there to test to see if it honks from there that way. Maybe something is missing on the horn ring or something. I think i did something similar with an old impala i had to honk the horn when a cop pulled me over and decided to do a safety check eons ago. There was nothing safe about that car!! But i miss it, and i did get by with a ticket for studded tires of which there was only one, the studs i already pulled from the other one. Pulled them and mailed them in a padded envelope with the ticket. :)

Wish i knew more bout wiring as that's sure screwy on the gen/alt light deal.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: 64 Galaxie 500 horn not working/Fixed

When the second owners had it converted from gen. to alt. they wired the 65 battery to regulator harness to the original 64 harness and tapped into the wrong wires. Got everything hooked up correctly and low the battery charges and horns work. Sometimes the obvious isnt. Added a pertronics, new timing chain (had 12degrees of play) and running great now. It was pretty sludged up so added a bottle of Marvel Mystery oil.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Re: 64 Galaxie 500 horn not working/Fixed

Good to hear!! That gen-alt light coming on would be confusing, i sure didn't know what to suggest other than a wiring issue!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts