Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I searched the data base for "1964 Galaxie disc brake" and didn't really find out what I need to know. I think a 1978 Cougar spindle will fit the 64', am I right? If so, I thought I read some where that there are alignment problems but I can't find that old post. I currently have a "Kit" from Ebay but I am not happy with front leading calipers and 9 5/8" rotors. Any information is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
There seems to be a problem with positive camber I've done the swap with 78 LTD II spindles and have a +.5 positive camber but the difference in the braking is day and nite. I can stop in one third of the distance with no right or left pull.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is +.5 positive camber good, bad, or indifferent? I really don't know much about front end alignment so you'll have to explain it to me in small words and small sentences. :^) Thanks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gbeeler on 4/25/06 1:05am ]</font>

·
Registered
981 Posts
I've done the swap to 78 t-bird like it was made for the car. However, I haven't gone to align yet so maybe the fit is too goo to be true, I'll find out. This seems to be the most common of any donor car so maybe it's fine. I actually think that .5 may be alright, my brothers stang has this I believe and it drives brand new, so any better might be like splitting hairs. Good luck. Also, what booster/ master are you using?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I purchased the booster and master cylinder from D.C. Enterprises and it attached like it made for the car! Awesome fit and finish. Was looking at picking up his kit for the disc's for around $600.00 but figured I would check with other people on this forumn to see if it way cheaper to do the 78 T-bird/Cougar swap. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
981 Posts
It's lots cheaper to buy a set of complete spindles from a boneyard. Obviously keep the spindles, but the calipers and rotors I think have to be returned for cores. Bearings and races etc should all be replaced too. I think including the original purchase, I have 300 canadian bucks into it, everything brand new from Carquest. Thanks for the booster 411, I'll check it out to see if it'll fit. I'm runnin those 4.5" svo valve covers on a 514, so booster size is critical.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It will fit! I have those Moroso "T" handle valve cover bolts and couldn't get the bottom rear one on with the stock booster and master cylinder. I now have plenty of room for it under the new booster/mc. If you need a picture let me know and I'll snap one the the old digital camera.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gbeeler on 4/25/06 5:55am ]</font>

·
Registered
981 Posts
I would do the same, but my car is a primer 4 year body shop ornament an hour from my house. Just venting again. I just heard what I thaught to be my friends 69 Yenko clone, nope, no Al. I get envious and have to hear a big block once in a while.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I believe that the spindles are ALL THE SAME on the intermediate cars from 74-79. I also am pretty sure that the lincolns is the same years that the spindles MAY be the same with the exception with the CALIPER brackets. Look harder and you will find the postings by me!

http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/galaxie-pages/i-found-the-problem-with-the-disc-brake-swap_48319.html

http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/galaxie-pages/64-galaxie-disk-brake-swap-from-74-torino-problems-no-adjustment_47691.html________________
1962 Galaxie 500 - My High School Cruiser in 76, but much Faster!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Galaxie_406 on 4/25/06 9:28am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I am reading the links in between typing a response.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll try to get a picture tonight of the clearance between the new booster and valve covers.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Cool gbeeler, I found the DC enterprises site, no pics there but awesome advice. I am going from manual to power brakes, does that make a difference with this kit? Looking forward to the pics.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure if it makes a difference or not. They person I spoke with there was very knowledgible and helpful so I'd say you should call him. I should have pictures tommorrow morning.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
**** at DC is good people to deal with. His disc kits use Granada spindles that he retapers the ball joint holes.

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
Do a search with the word camber and you will have a lot of reading to do I'm happy with the results on my 64 but some are not. I paid fifty dollars for the spindals and calipers traded in the calipers for rebuilt ones and bought new everything else I have about $300 in it.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TonyD gave me some good information to read. I have a local wrecking yard looking into parts right now. I not I'll probably buy the kit from **** at DC.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
So does D.C.'s "complete kit" have standard spindles, or are they dropped? An email to him a few months ago said

"Ours are reworled Granada spindles tha lower your car 2".

Im not sure that i want my front end lowered. I guess id have to play with it in photoshop.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I already lowered my front end and rear end by 2" last weekend. That and a 1.75" front sway bar from PST and the car is on rails!!! So don't knock the lowering. I will contact **** and see if his kit does lower the ride heighth be two inches. If so I'll have to cross him off the list. Droping 2" is awesome...4" is probably pushing the limits.

Couldn't find where the wife put the digital camera last night so I checked and I have over 5 inches of clearance between my valve covers and brake booster.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts