Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
never having driven a car this big with manual steering isn't a big deal to me unless it will be atrocious on the road. my aftermarket setup has some issues and to be honest i cant quite discern what may be the problem. there are obvious items like a huge leak down by the control piece, plus the power assist ram is bent where it attaches to the drag link and is missing all of the bits to actual secure it to the frame tab. on top of that the steering wheel itself has some play and i was going to replace it anyway as its a smaller aftermarket one that i dont care for. lastly i have no idea if the pump itself is any good.

so in other words i can try and make hat i have work and go piecemeal in trying to sort it and hope i find the cuplrit. i could be a ram install kit away froma perfect system or i can go full on and buy a whole new kit (not a great idea lol ) and bascially overspend on a possibly small issue, or simply spend 230 on the power to manual control valve from greg donahue and drive it like 60 year car drives. i dont do a ton a parallel parking lol. losing all that weight and complicated business is a benefit but not something i am overly concerned about. i wish i culd test the individual components tho i honestly dont know how.

the problem is the prices of these power steering bits are crazy. 150 for a pump, 150 for a power ram, another 200 for a control valave, plus lines, bushings etc. it actually almost cheaper to buy a whole new kit at one time and be done with it.

so long post short - how driveable is a 64 galaxie 500 with manual steering? i assume id need an aligment as well after going to the "new" manual steering?

- jason

·
Registered
18 Posts
never having driven a car this big with manual steering isn't a big deal to me unless it will be atrocious on the road. my aftermarket setup has some issues and to be honest i cant quite discern what may be the problem. there are obvious items like a huge leak down by the control piece, plus the power assist ram is bent where it attaches to the drag link and is missing all of the bits to actual secure it to the frame tab. on top of that the steering wheel itself has some play and i was going to replace it anyway as its a smaller aftermarket one that i dont care for. lastly i have no idea if the pump itself is any good.

so in other words i can try and make hat i have work and go piecemeal in trying to sort it and hope i find the cuplrit. i could be a ram install kit away froma perfect system or i can go full on and buy a whole new kit (not a great idea lol ) and bascially overspend on a possibly small issue, or simply spend 230 on the power to manual control valve from greg donahue and drive it like 60 year car drives. i dont do a ton a parallel parking lol. losing all that weight and complicated business is a benefit but not something i am overly concerned about. i wish i culd test the individual components tho i honestly dont know how.

the problem is the prices of these power steering bits are crazy. 150 for a pump, 150 for a power ram, another 200 for a control valave, plus lines, bushings etc. it actually almost cheaper to buy a whole new kit at one time and be done with it.

so long post short - how driveable is a 64 galaxie 500 with manual steering? i assume id need an aligment as well after going to the "new" manual steering?

- jason
my buddy has a 64 Galaxie with no power steering or brakes...ive driven the car and its not that bad once your moving...you do have to wrestle with the wheel a little bit when youre stopped but its not too too bad

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Remove the PS belt and test drive it. If you don't stain your drawers, all should be good.

If it were me, I would install the M/S drag-link instead of buying that ball conversion kit.

OH! Forgot...

Don't shiat can the takeoffs. Offer them for sale.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts