Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 64 galaxie conv the rear sits very low the front springs and rear leafsprings are new as are the shocks new shackles and ubolts and all hardware also any answers would be appreciated on why it still sits low in rear or best way to raise rear thanx

·
Registered
201 Posts
Are you sure you have the correct springs?
I have heard of people using station wagon springs if they want to go higher in the rear. Don’t know if they are available for your car. But if you just spent money on your springs you probably won’t want to buy another set.
Just throwing this out there- back in the 90’s I had a ‘67 Camaro ragtop and I hated the way the rear end sat low with stock springs. I bought a cheap set of Mr. Gasket shackles from Summit and raised the rear about 1.5”. Then I cut off the extra part of the shackle I didn’t need. I rounded them off with my bench grinder, painted them chassis black and nobody even noticed.
It didn’t change the ride quality and only cost $15!

·
Super Moderator
21,604 Posts
Mine has always been low also and so has a couple others I know in my area. More the convertibles are like that than the hard tops. Not that it's a good thing but I've always had air shocks on mine and last time around I got shocks for a camaro because they were longer than the ones sold for the '64. I just removed the Tbar type mounts. The ones they say are for ours are for a Lasalle i think it was and they are short. Back in the day i reversed the shackles and I tried the long shackles. Neither worked at that time and only causes the end of the leaf springs to bend downward. Now i have new springs and don't want to add the added stress to them. You might try taking yours in and having an extra leaf added to the springs. I've heard of some doing that to raise the back some. And as mentioned by 67drake, getting wagon springs. I'm not sure on the wagons if they may be arched more or if they have more leafs. Convertibles have 5 or 6, forget now and I don't look at mine everyday. :) Or maybe could have them arched more? When it comes to getting the back up on this boat is when i wish it was coil springs like that other make of car has and then air shocks get them way up there! lol Also with air shocks and the way mine leans on corners i ran the lines individually as on corners all the air moves to the high side and makes it worse when going a little fast around a corner, it made a world of difference! Isn't there a way to add a block like thing on these at the center of springs like done on trucks. I'm not sure how all that works though.

·
Premium Member
1964 Galaxie Convertible
9 Posts
I did the front coils and springs on my 64 galaxie convertible about a year ago, and ride height for the rear was perfect. I did have an extra leaf in the set I installed. You may have to get them re-arched and/or have a leaf added.

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
I did the front coils and springs on my 64 galaxie convertible about a year ago, and ride height for the rear was perfect. I did have an extra leaf in the set I installed. You may have to get them re-arched and/or have a leaf added.
I did air shocks on mine and like deb a ran separate air lines to each one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts