Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 64 Galaxie and want to convert it from the factory 3 on the tree manual to an automatic column shift car.
What will I need to make this happen?
What type of transmission will I need that will bolt up to my 289 small block?
Do I need to replace the column or can I replace the 3 on the tree column collar with the automatic column collar and add the gear selector indicator? (I found those parts on the web and both were fairly inexpensive but don't know if the conversion is that simple)
Is there any cables or rods that I need to connect the shift lever on the column to the tranny?
I need someone with some knowledge about this to give me some advise. Please help!

·
Registered
718 Posts
You will need a Automatic transmission, and Automatic Transmission steering column, all associated linkages, a throttle linkage mount from auto trans car with tranny kickdown linkage, and a neutral safety switch...

That should cover it.
Also you will need transmission cooling lines, and a radiator with a transmission cooler, or an auxillary cooler. I would leave it alone or go with a 4 speed.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a complete auto column shift steering column removed from a '63.
Better jump on this Jcapathy, get what you need when it's available, because otherwise it may not be when you are ready.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Geez, if my car were still a column shift Galaxie 500 instead of a cloned 500XL, we could have done one big parts swap.

Shouldn't be a big deal, but your rear end ratio is most likely a 3:50:1 with a manual trans. Automatics were 3:1.

(Guys, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OCbeerdrinker: Im located in the San Fernando Valley. I take it you are down South?
Jhooch:
Do you have the auto trans, linkages and other associated items I will need to make this car an automatic?
Email me at my [email protected] (trying to limit the amount of spam I get)
Im ready to make a move whether its a parts swap or selling the parts I have and purchasing the parts I want.
Thanks FE and Going Broke, all good information. I appreciate it.
Looking to do one big parts swap as I have the 3 spd trans, column, etc.
I changed the suspension system to air bags and put on disc brakes so I have the original drums, springs, and leaf springs I can throw in in addition to the column, shifter, linkages, and tranny to make a big parts swap happen. I also have all the chrome from the sides, quarter panels and the rockers. Keeping the window trims but all the parts are either for trade or sale to help achieve my goal of making this car an automatic.
Let me know of we can make a trade or if any of you guys are interested in the parts I have.
Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
OCbeerdrinker: Im located in the San Fernando Valley. I take it you are down South?
Jhooch:
Do you have the auto trans, linkages and other associated items I will need to make this car an automatic?
Email me at my [email protected] (trying to limit the amount of spam I get)
Im ready to make a move whether its a parts swap or selling the parts I have and purchasing the parts I want.
Thanks FE and Going Broke, all good information. I appreciate it.
Looking to do one big parts swap as I have the 3 spd trans, column, etc.
I changed the suspension system to air bags and put on disc brakes so I have the original drums, springs, and leaf springs I can throw in in addition to the column, shifter, linkages, and tranny to make a big parts swap happen. I also have all the chrome from the sides, quarter panels and the rockers. Keeping the window trims but all the parts are either for trade or sale to help achieve my goal of making this car an automatic.
Let me know of we can make a trade or if any of you guys are interested in the parts I have.
Thanks all!
I only have the column.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I've got a parts car with all the auto trans parts ya want as well.

column, shifter linkage, COM and all the fixings, etc etc. This is for a 390 btw.

Personally I think it'd be a good time to put a c6 in with a floor shifter and make your life much simpler, but whatever does it for ya. I'm in southern Georgia, so shipping an old transmission probably isn't all that sensible.
anyhow, pm me if you need any lil bits or pieces tho I think your best to deal with the fella that has an auto and wants a manual, probably just swap bit for bits.

Later
Drew

1 - 11 of 11 Posts