Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive been ding donging around with the car and i ran into a couple issues already. I popped the rubber line off just before the fuel pump and hooked an electric pump up and pumped out the fuel out of tank. Put 5 gallons of fresh gas in and hooked everything back up. Tried starting but not getting fuel to carb so im assuming the diaphram is shot. Got one ordered b here monday. So this is what confuses me. Ive not really messed with points but i bumped motor around to get it on a lobe and checked clearance. Bout .017 clearance. So when i go to crank it im not getting any spark on my points. But ive got juice to the coil My points dont look like they are equal on each side like they stuck together and then broke. I have the 223 inline 6 unit. Sorry for the long post just trying to b as detailed in my question

·
Registered
1963 Ford Galaxie 500
161 Posts
So ive been ding donging around with the car and i ran into a couple issues already. I popped the rubber line off just before the fuel pump and hooked an electric pump up and pumped out the fuel out of tank. Put 5 gallons of fresh gas in and hooked everything back up. Tried starting but not getting fuel to carb so im assuming the diaphram is shot. Got one ordered b here monday. So this is what confuses me. Ive not really messed with points but i bumped motor around to get it on a lobe and checked clearance. Bout .017 clearance. So when i go to crank it im not getting any spark on my points. But ive got juice to the coil My points dont look like they are equal on each side like they stuck together and then broke. I have the 223 inline 6 unit. Sorry for the long post just trying to b as detailed in my question
I would think about going with a Pertronix ignition, and getting rid of the points. My 1963 289 I switched them out, with a new Pertronix coil, and it is a nice difference, and never have to worry about points, gap, adjustments, etc. With all the other issues to worry about on a 58 year old vehicle, that is not one of them.

·
Registered
1963 Ford Galaxie 500
161 Posts
I would think about going with a Pertronix ignition, and getting rid of the points. My 1963 289 I switched them out, with a new Pertronix coil, and it is a nice difference, and never have to worry about points, gap, adjustments, etc. With all the other issues to worry about on a 58 year old vehicle, that is not one of them.
I looked up the part number, even though it says 8 cylinder, several other websites say this part number for 6 cylinder Part Number: 91281

·
Premium Member
6,007 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya im thinking the carb will need rebuilt. When fuel pump is in and cranking with the lane of going to the carb right at the fuel pump i cant get anything to come out thats y i assumed it was the fuel pump. One more question for you guys. The brakes are like brand new on it as far as pads and drums. But they are all froze. Whats the easiest way to clean them up and see what works and what doesnt? Like ive said i have never even messed with drum brakes before. I did get the front drivers side drum off. Do you just buff the inside of drums and put it back together and give it a shot and see what works? Been looking through older posts in here looking into going with disc brakes but i just need to make it moveable right now

·
Registered
74 Posts
pertonix is def the easiest. (have one on my 62 falcon). not sure if they do an hei conversion distributor for this motor (they did for the 250 and 200) bu those work great, ive done that a few times as well.

Points are relatively easy to deal with, but make sure the wiring is right at the contacts. the wire to the coil from the points needs to be between the isolators to contact ONLY the arm that moves, along w the flag connector for the condensor.. and if unsure about condenser condition, replace it. But i vote for electronic ign.

·
Administrator
21,832 Posts
Are you getting gas coming out between the fuel pump and carb? The way i read your last comment you weren't. I'd check to make sure fuel is getting to the carb from the pump first if you haven't already. Granted the carb will probably need rebuilt I'd do the obvious first.

As for the points, make sure the coil is good and that the wires are hooked up to the coil. If you have another coil setting around try that. Also the condenser could be bad and you won't get any spark either. The condensors are the #1 issue with spark it seems and a new one isn't always a guarantee either. Went through 3 new ones once to get a good one. They don't make things like they used to!!

As for pertronix. I just changed my points out for this about 3 yrs ago. I have noticed no difference at all. But also I never had trouble with starting my car or having to touch my points once they were set prior to this. This is only my opinion, but I'd find the reason for no spark. If it's the coil, pertronix is not going to work either. But I'm a points person and only checked mine every 2 or 3 yrs when i thought they were due to be replaced. Also i'm old and hate change! :ROFLMAO:

BTW, welcome to the forum and congrats on the "new" car, my favorite!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts