Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone new to the forum love the site and have a problem.

I started sanding down the q panels on my 64xl hardtop because there were bubbles in the paint. What I found underneath were rust through spots in multiple places. i think its just the outside panel nothing in the trunk. Does anyone know if there are reproduction panels or do i have to a good car and cut?

Also the bottom corners of the back window are getting pretty bad. I havent taken the glass out yet so i dont know if its rusted through yet but if it isnt whould the old school lead filling be worth the hassle if there arent repros?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
What is your general location? I was told of a '64 at the car show yesterday but need to go look at it yet to see what it looks like. It is in the Tacoma WA area.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in the Memphis area. Thanks for all the posts. Once I got to sanding the bondo was at least a quarter inch thick in certain areas. Once i get a place its cutting time.

Has anyone had the problem of the inner quarter panel rusting out. A lot of crap had built up in that slot on the sides in the trunk so its rusting out aswell.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Nice thing bout the inner is it can't be seen and is relatively flat. Probably a common area to rust when the drain holes are covered up so water can't get out.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats what I was thinking when i get it started on the full restoration just fabricating new inners. right now im just trying to keep the rusty spots from getting worse.

Anyone have ideas on the lower back window corners?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts