Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys - quick radio question,

I was looking at how to take the stock AM radio out of my 64 Galaxie. It works great, but I'm looking to send it out to get an iPod jack added in while the car is in storage this winter. When I was poking around, I accidentally popped the antenna cable off the radio and can't get it back in. I thought it was hooked in by some sort of plug in jack, but instead, there was just a rough piece of cable end with frayed strands of copper that slid out. When I tried to slide it back in, it didn't work anymore - no reception at all. The more I try and slide, the more frayed the cable gets...

2 questions:
1) is there a trick to getting the cable reattached to the radio?
2) Does anyone have step by step instructions for removing a radio from a 64? I don't want to bugger anything else up when I try and remove it.

Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
i belive you actually pulled wire out of its own jack...
once you get radio out, then pull that jack out of the right side of radio...
when you have jack and wire right in front of you it will become more clear what you have to do. to re attach to jack..
may have to to get a new antenna.....
look at the pictures in this fleabay listing.....

FoMoCo Radio Kit Custom_Galaxie_Sunliner Country Sedan Squire XL 1964 | eBay

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Sounds like the end connector stayed in the radio and the coax pulled out of that. I haven't ever tried to 'repair' an end like that. That being said the best bet is to get another cable from any earlier car and un-solder the antenna end and reattach it to your antenna. The reason its not working when you push the cable back in is the 2 conductors in the coax are "shorted" together. It has a solid connductor wrapped by a 'ground' conductor. ( its a woven wire. As stated I have never tried to repair one of them and havent paid enough attention to look and see if it CAN be repaired/resoldered . Maybe FE or someone else can chime in....

It is commonly known as a Motorola Connector...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - you guys are absolutely right - the cable was pulled out of the connector. I just went out again and pulled on the the connector with a pair of needle nose pliers and it popped right out.. I didn't think I pulled on the antenna cable that hard when I was grabbing around under there (I was grabbing for the metal but I guess my grip wasn't good so I pulled the cable instead) but I guess it didn't take much to damage it. Yes I'd be interested to know if it's possible to resolder the connector back on to the cable. I just laid down new carpet so I'd prefer to not have to pull it back up to replace the antenna wire.

Oh well, the radio needs to come out, and you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette. So says the man that went from having a fully functioning radio to a new-agey white noise machine in a matter of seconds. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts